PC-cillin Internet Security - anyone tried it ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

i wonder if its worth getting..
    i used the old version 1-2 years ago and i seem to remember there was a feature that can block activex on a per site basis (like outpost can). this is a very important feature for me. is it still there ?

i also wonder if the incompability with outpost is still there (bluescreens) and if the included firewall is any good.
    email scanning?

and last but not least ,is it a good AV/AT ??

in currently using outpost 2 pro + drweb+thebat (with kav and drweb plugins) + kav as backup scanner

any input would be appreciated. im very happy with my current setup, but im a sucker for trying new software

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I think that's the WebTrap feature? I didn't like that feature in 2002, because it caused problems on my machine. I tested the beta for about a week, and I liked it, however I couldn't find a way to not install the firewall. (Which is much improved, btw.)

Update functionality works a lot better than the 2002 version, also, but as regards the interface, etc.--it's very similar to the last few "issues" of PCC.

AV? Yes, very good, IMO. AT? Fair. I definitely would have a dedicated AT running next to any AV--but YMMV.

Ain't it cool? ;)

I liked TIS okay. I'll probably renew the license on the box I run PCC on when it expires.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I installed it yesterday and it seems to work very smoothly on my xp box. I have tested the fire wall at all the sites I know of and as long as you set security at medium or higher it is a full stealth firewall. I really like it so far I just hope it is as good as I would like it to be. I can't tell yet how well the spyware and spam sections work yet, but I am going to keep an eye on it.If I find any real defiencies I will post it for those members that have any interest in this program. :) And it does scan pop3 and web mail msn,yahoo and so on. They still have the discount for upgrading to trend micro internet security.

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

An honest question (read: NOT a challenge!): How do you know this? I tested PC-cillin 2002 against several live trojan samples, and it caught all of them. That doesn't mean it's the best AT detector, but it did inspire some confidence in me (especially since another product I tried with the same samples missed almost all of them).

I have long thought that PC-cillin was a very good trojan detector, mainly due to reviews at sites like HackFix, and from my own somewhat measly testing. I've also assumed that it hasn't gotten any worse with successive product updates. But since most of us rely on blind faith, I am asking you how you arrived at your own conclusion.

5. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Fair question! ;) I arrived at that conclusion by watching PCC 2002 (and NAV, as well) against a runtime-packed trojan, which it blissfully let load into the operating memory of my computer without emitting a peep.

The trojan merrily hummed away until BoClean hammered it moments later. ;)

For the record: I like PCC very much. Use it on my 98 box here. ;)

6. nameless

Thanks for that answer! I run BOClean as well, and now I'm even more happy that I do! ;)

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

You won't be sorry! ;)

8. Andr? Klaver

Andr? Klaver Guest

I'm satisfied about PCC. Also got very adequate help from their technical supportteam when some update bug occurred.

9. bigc73542

I have been useing trend micro internet security for a week now and I am very satisifed in the way it performes.All the modules that are part of this suite seem to work well. I am compleatly satisifed with the firewall. This program does not seem to a drag on my system at all. Some other av's are a little system hungry, I am glad this one is not. :)

10. nameless

How is the PCC firewall? Does it (finally) allow for outbound control? Component level or just application level? Is it pretty configurable overall?

11. bigc73542

I will post this screen shot and you can get a little idea of some of the settings. I like it in one respect that it was very easy to get a full stealth grade every where that I have tested it.

Attached Files:

• 124.jpg
      124.jpg
      File size:
      85.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

NAV 2004 has unpackers now; I suspect the newest releases of PCC will too. So if you tested the newest releases of NAV and PCC against this runtime packed malware, you might get different results.

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I went to the Trend Micro site to read up on the new PC-cillin. It seems like a nice AV.

One thing concerns me though and maybe bigc73542 can clarify this. Trend Micro states that PCC has daily virus updates. When I visited DSLR security forum, their update thread showed PCC's virus def. date 11/3/03. That's pretty old. Is the date shown at DSLR wrong and the virus def. on PCC are up to date?

14. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Here is a screenshot with the current updates - updated just before.

Regards,
    Jade.

Attached Files:

15. nameless

PC-cillin Internet Security uses the same updates as PCC 2003 (for now, anyway). Since I just stopped using the latter of these, I can say with certainty that the updates were provided daily (sometimes more than once daily--on occasion, I saw two or three updates on a given day).

16. Graystoke

Bowserman, nameless...........

Thank you. I might give PCC 2004 a try.

17. bigc73542

It updates daily so far, it updates all of the modules through the same update program just not all modules every day. For instance the spam filter might update today and the spyware tomorow. But it does stay up to date. Since I have been useing it my computer runs smoother than it has with any of the many av's I have had on here.I do beleive I will keep it on here since it seems to work very well. I would definatly recomend it for most users. Some power users might not like it but I personally think it works as well as any av out there.

:)surf safe :)

- removed unnecessary attachment.

18. nameless

I don't know if PCC is as good at detection as KAVP is, but it is good nonetheless, and it is (or at least PCC 2003 was) much less problematic. With PCC 2003, I'd just set it and forget it. Once in awhile I'd make sure the updates were being applied correctly, but they always were.

Now that I use KAVP, I am finding some genuine annoyances with it that PCC 2003 never had. For example, I have found that the KAVP real-time monitor bogs down the system terribly when I simply defrag one of my partitions. A Kaspersky Lab rep recommended to me that I close or temporarily disable the monitor while defragging. However, there is no way to do that automatically, and since I defrag on a schedule, what am I to do? Not defrag automatically, or not use a real-time monitor? With PCC 2003, this ridiculous issue was never a problem.

19. Graystoke

Bowserman, bigc73542, nameless..........One more question if I may. I take it that you never had the need to download PCC's beta virus updates?

20. nameless

I never downloaded them. But I am not the type to keep an eye on the "virus of the moment" list, and compare that to what the release version patterns covered.

21. bigc73542

Instead of checking for extra dats. I depend on either my pcc or extendia avk pro with two engines and two seperate dat files to catch any very new virus. :)

22. Graystoke

Thanks for answering my question. I agree. I would rather do other things than constantly watch for daily dats. :)

23. nameless

Especially since, for me anyway, being that much of a prisoner to security is worse than being the occasional victim to a failure of it. Sort of like the old proverb about how every man dies, but the man who lives in constant fear dies many times over.

24. bigc73542

The bottom line is if you don't trust your security apps. you might as well not even use them. I do beleive you can go to far, you could turn into an electronic hypocondriac.

- removed unnecessary attachment.

25. nameless

To answer my own question, I just found out from reading a review that PC-cillin Internet Security's firewall does not have application-based outbound control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.