PC-Cillin 2005 AV vs. NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quexx88, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Hello, It's almost that time of year when renewals are due. I have noticed the $25 rebate on Pc-Cillin 2005 for owners of previous versions of Symantec products, and since I have an old copy of Norton lying around, $25 for a defense suite is pretty good. I have some questions though.

First, how does the AV portion compare against NOD32? I was unable to find any really meaningful tests of the two.

Second, how does PC-Cillin work with BOclean, ewido, TDS-3 and Outpost 2.5?

Thank you for your time!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

second question first, trend works well with the apps you mentioned. first question, trend has a good antivirus but it's detection rate can not compare to nods. if you check a few test sites they should confirm this.

trend VB test

NOD VB test

3. quexx88

I forgot to mention that I am aware of the VB tests, and by no means consider them unimportant, but Trend's last failure was in 2000...five years ago. Lately they have passed every single one. Are there any alternative comparisons between the two?

4. bigc73542

you might check here

5. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Most of the major antivirus programs will provide you with good protection.
    I wouldn't count on any one program to do it all. Your surfing habits enter into the picture.

7. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

I bought PC-c 2005 from Trend online (it's through Digital River, I believe) and was promptly refunded my full fee when I asked for it.

Regards

8. bigc73542

I got my trend through the microsoft $24.95 offer and after five days they refunded my purchase price with no problems at all. It was also through digital river.

bigc

9. I didn't even buy it. I am using it on one of my computers as a 90 day trial, through Microsoft's website.. (The internet Suite).. and I am not terribly impressed with it. Detection seems okay for the common stuff but not the "exotic" stuff and I don't even think it has heuristics.. I intend to stick to NAV and KAV...

10. quexx88

Straight Shooter, what kind of RAM usage are you noticing with NAV? I'm a little apprehensive about installing the trial judging by reports I've heard about how difficult it is to thoroughly remove.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Both on the same system at the same time? When I installed NAV 2004 I believe that I received a message that the program would abort installation if another AV was detected, or something like that.

Acadia

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  12. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

My bad about the refund. I finally found the information to request a refund. Could not get the letter of destruction(LOD) thing to work, so I could fill it out, but I did shoot off an email requesting a refund and a LOD to filll out. Crossing my fingers.

Coud never get registered properly in the Trend customer care center. I registered, but it would never let me sign in. Try to create the same account again, and of course it would already be registered. It uninstalled ok, so that was no problem for me.

13. Okay, just to answer the two questions.. I never run two av's on one box. So, I meant NAV on my laptop, KAV on my desktop, (and Panda Titanium on another cheap desktop I have at my office...)... NAV 2005 seems a little more intense on my laptop than NAV 2004, so it's frustrating having to wait for the AV to allow the laptop to fully load the AV upon startup... I think resource usage is around 18%, but please don't quote me on this until tonight when I go home and check my laptop.. The new Built in Firewall NAV has seems to be the culprit...

14. bigc73542

I had the same problems, I copied the L.O.D to word pad filled it in then pasted it back to lod e-mail. It worked ok. It took five days after registering with Trend customer care to get a confirmation e-mail. To slow, had already requested a refund.

bigc

15. quexx88

Well, looks like NOD32 gets another year. It's a pity, I had expected better from an industry leader like Trend Micro. Upon further inspection, their firewall has terrible configuration options, and NOD32 regularly beats TM's AV at any reputable test site I visit. Also, NOD32 uses far less of my system resources, which I prize highly for gaming. Oh well, maybe 2006 will be brighter.

Oh, one more question. Am I right in my assumption that NAV standalone and McAfee AV standalone are substantially heavier than NOD32 on both CPU and RAM?

16. bigc73542

NAV is definatly heavier than nod. mcafee is heavier than nod but not near as much as Nav

17. quexx88

One FINAL question...I promise it's really the last one. I think :p

How does AVG stack up against NOD32, especially if supplemented by the aforementioned AT's? Is AVG's paid version worth getting?

18. bigc73542

In my opinion avg is not even in the same class as Nod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.