pc cillian 2004 or mcafee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maddawgz, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi i have pc cillian suite 2004 and Mcafee enterprise 8.0i with mcafee antispyware ... which is the best product to use? i do like the set and leave pc cillian 2004 firewall..as im not that great with firewalls and setting rules? thanks MD :eek:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

PC-cillin is easier to use but mcafee is going to give you better protection through better detection.

bigc

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i must admit i tried both of these just for the heck of it and i agree with bigc. pc cillan will use less resources and be easier to use but mcafee will i feel offer better protection. especially in the firewall dept. there detection rates are always far superior to pc-cillan also if you check all of the testing done mcafee are always at the top of most lists

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

CLOSE to the top - you got KAV to beat it always LOL :D

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Your McAfee with ZoneAlarm Free will serve you well :)

6. Firecat

your memory serves you well! :)

7. Sputnik

Sure, but RAM-usage doesn't say everything... McAfee might use a lil more ram then KAV for example, but their scanner is faster IMHO... no offence to KAV ofcource, just notice of a fact :)

8. Firecat

So its more like RAM usage AND CPU usageo_O

9. Sputnik

Ofcource, you can't judge a scanner on it's RAM usage only... But also on how efficient it is and the CPU usage too...
    For an example... F-Secure has a reasonable ram-usage (~18mb - ~26mb) but the CPU usage and scanning speed is less efficient then McAfee wich uses the same amount of ram...
    Scanning 28000 files takes F-Secure up to 12:39 min to scan, while McAfee does the job in less then 7 min... F-Prot only needs 4:47 min...

It's all about compromises... We can advice people in their choise, but it remains personal preference...

10. Firecat

So its like...RAM usage, CPU usage and how efficiently a scanner is able to use that RAM and CPU, huh?

11. Sputnik

Yes, it's like that...

12. Firecat

OK Thanks a lot StyleWarz :)

Have a nice day :)

Firecat

13. bigc73542

What it is actually about is getting an av that works well with no conflicts on your comp that has dood detection. On demand scan speed is less important than having it do a good job and finding what malware might be hiding on your computer. Since this thread is about pc-cillin and mcafee I still say mcafee is the better choice all around on all accounts between these two antivirus programs.

bigc

14. Sputnik

Ofcource I agree with this...
    But I still think you've to consider the scanner efficiency... I'm also a fan of the Kaspersky engine, but it's efficiency is just bad... If you see how much McAfee detects, just a lil less then Kaspersky, but with only 1/3 of Kaspersky's scan time... That makes you doubt...
    So finding a good av is about the following points in my opinion:

1) Does the product run good on your computer?
    2) Is the interface clear enough for you?
    3) Is the scanner efficiency good enough for you?
    4) How does it preform in tests?
    5) How many updates it gets in a week, and what's it's respond time to big threats?

15. bigc73542

I had mcafee 8.0i on here before I installed Kav 5.0.227 and the scan times between the two are not that far apart, probably not two minutes difference on my comp. Of course everyone is going to achive different results due to computer speed and software installed. But to me I will take a little hit is speed for the extra proitection. Regardless what is said about Kav it is still the best at all around detection rates against all types of malware. In my opinion mcafee would be my second choice as it is a very good av also.

bigc

16. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

TrendMicro/Pc-Cillin 2005 surprised me with it's detection rate. All av:s that have 90.0 % or more detection against my 3366 "Common PC Protection" category of sampples are VERY GOOD in my mind. No really weak area with TrendMicro, congrats!

If I remember right, Trend is also a very light on resources, if so, a good choice of those who want some light av.

PS. It may score even better with those AdWare samples, but I understood that the Spyware detection module is ON only during On-Access scanning.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wonder why everyone write Pc-cillian instead Pc-cillin. Or McCaffee instead McAfee ;) I also expected more from Pc-cillin,but it doesn't look too good here... :doubt:

18. Firefighter

Although Kaspersky engined av:s are nr. 1 in detection, they are a bit away from top in disinfection capabilities. You can check that from here and some former tests in here too.

http://www.checkvir.com/index.php?CN=3.3.35&CIE=0

Trend has won several "Adwanced" certificates concerning disinfection in here.

Btw, I have scanned AntiVir 6.30 too, it scored totally 3234, but I just can't find ONE sample, in which catecory AntiVir detected that before I have counted all these 3649 samples manually from scanlog, very frustrating. o_O

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  19. dread

dread Registered Member

If your talking about the internet suite, mcafee all the way. I cant stand trend's firewall, it doesnt fully allow programs to access the internet. You cant use remote destop or realvnc even if you make a rule for them. They also dont have a chance against mcafee spamkiller. But besides that pc-cillin is ok besides the false positives it has sometimes. But every company has them.

20. Firecat

Y'know - there's something wrong. MicroWorld's eScan (KAV engine) was tested only once recently at Checkvir, however it got the advanced award o_O

Same engine = same disinfection

RIGHT?

<or is it some not-so-clean thing going on>

Firecat

21. Piper

Piper Registered Member

Ok, probably a stupid question, but.......Everytime I see one of Firefighter's tests, or Bigc's posts, it has McAfee VSE 8.0i. Is that the Enterprise edition? I thought that wasn't available to the average end user consumer.

22. Firecat

Umm...some companies hand the Enterprise edition to their employees for home use :)

23. Piper

Piper Registered Member

Ahh. Makes sence. :) Thanks Firecat.

24. .....

..... Registered Member

Warez Monkeys :ninja:

25. Firefighter

Actually the former eScan Free 4.4.7 was able to rename/delete almost all infected files but not CLEAN. Don't know about the commercial version.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.