PBR Free 2014 recovery CD not loading properly

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Lanmao, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Lanmao

Lanmao Registered Member

I'm using PBR 2014 Free 64-bit (10.1.21.287 (16.12.13) on my Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop (i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GTX 670MX, 128GB mSATA SSD, 750GB S-ATA HDD, 4x4GB DDR3 RAM).

I've created a recovery cd using the bootcd_x64.iso file from the installation. The CD manages to boot and the initial page loads, but when I select the normal or safe options, a black screen appears with

Loading Linux...
    Loading initrd...

then just hangs:

http://s12.postimg.org/6j0e3i1vv/pbr.jpg

Has anyone else encountered this problem and do you have any suggestions on how I can get the CD to load properly and run?

Thanks!

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The black screen is normal. But after a few seconds, a blue screen with a disk image and moving lines should appear, indicating that the loading continues.

Perhaps the Linux recovery disk is not compatible with the hardware, possibly a problem with the mSATA SSD.

If another computer is available, you could try the Linux medium in it, to check that it was created correctly.

Or, create again the boot medium, using a different method. If you used RMB, try Rufus, or vice versa.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. Lanmao

Lanmao Registered Member

Thanks Robin A.

I think you're right regarding mSATA compatibility. I just checked the system requirements and the interface isn't explicitly listed. I would've thought it would come as standard though.

Has anyone had any previous success using the recovery CD with an mSATA SSD?

I've tried your suggestions and recreated the CD using a different burner, but it never gets past the black screen "Loading initrd..." stage. Unfortunately I don't have another 64-bit machine I can test it on.

It looks like I'll have to use something else until Paragon supports mSATA. I hope it's something they'll do soon.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.