PayPal, Lenovo Launch New Campaign to Kill the Password

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/511001/paypal-lenovo-launch-new-campaign-to-kill-the-password/

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

This is a good idea in theory, but I think it has some serious shortcomings:

1. They are talking about installing software on your devices. This can be a problem because that software needs to be compatible with most devices out there, which is easier said than done. Also, convincing users to install such software seems to be a hard task.
    2. Even worse, they talk about "A company [...] might get proof of a person’s device by checking the security chip that is installed in many PCs [...]". This can raise even more privacy problems than the first point.
    3. Introducing this new authentication method will only make the attackers to change their methods, but they will not give up. Instead of stealing passwords, they will now attempt to control your computer and the installed app in order to conduct a transaction in your name. So I'm not sure there is something to gain using this.

3. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Oh no, the big companies had enough of securing their stuff. They now want the blame to be always on the costumer.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The key to this being a privacy killer is that it's authenticating at the hardware level. I'll choose privacy and freedom in my choices and my data.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I could see this working for some situations like online banking, authorizing payment/transactions through the computer etc. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.