Pay Pal

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by burling, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burling

burling Registered Member

Spybot asked for some donations but only gave Pay Pal as a means to donate. Pay pal is having financial problems and is not recommended. Is there another system that is more secure with your money? Currently there is a major class action suit against Pay Pal

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi and welcome to Wilders,

Sure there are others -- unfortunately, it seems like PayPal is the only payment service that a heckuva lot of online vendors and service-suppliers ever heard of.

The one I used to rely on, given a choice, was RegNow, never had any problems with them. But the Lavasoft team says they've got questionable partners/associates, and as of about 3 def updates ago, now at least one of them (GameHouse) is on Ad-Aware's "blacklist".

You may just have to do what I did, grit your teeth and use PayPal simply because from way too many vendors' viewpoints, there's "no other game in town".

Best,
    Mike

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

or.......... email, ask for address, send International Money Order the old fashioned way. That way, you are virtually guaranteed it will get there, and no risk to you.

TAS

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Tas, Mike will either like this (I'm sure you have considered this Mike), grit his teeth (like you sometimes do Tas), or supply rebuttle (this I am sure). Also really don't like the idea of paypal, anymore.

Yeah, why do you suppose this is so predominant? o_O

GF
    ps burling - "WELCOME" to the forums. :D
    pss Mike - Always like to hear what you have to say... :cool:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi, GF, don't think this really falls into any of the three options you suggested. :p ;) I'd imagine PP is the "only game in town" to so many vendors simply because they probably pursue fairly aggressive marketing techniques in trying to enroll business into using them for handling payments.

Oh, and a comment to Tassie -- good idea in theory, but in practice one heckuva lot of online vendors simply will not accept payment in any form other than plastic. Macecraft (the paid version of JV-16, among other things) is just one of many in that category.

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

So Mike, with all the apparent weakness of financial security on the web these days, and proliferation of new methods of theft (this phishing thing undermining ssl, scary), the web must surely be bound for some sort of crash or see-saw effect, no?

I read recently the sheer amount of advertising pressure is driving some people away from conducting personal transactions, banking and what-have-you. I'd really like to be able to do this more freely, but the complexity of security and what the average user has to be aware of is staggering.

I try to keep this to a minimum, though I'd like to make donations to the vendors out there who are trying to keep this onslaught under control, of which there are many.

It's great, all this free software coming from some brilliant people, and heck, I'd gladly pay for it cause most do what they claim, and are doing what they do on the basic human level, to help. In general, that's what people with any conscious do!

What Tas suggested in theory is true, but not practical. At some point, and I'm afraid to say it, this bit of "teeth gitting" comes down to...

"The Only Game In Town"

I'm surprised not to see more input to this topic. This is a concern to anyone who appreciates help and commendable free software.

How much trouble would the masses be in without HJT, siting just one example. o_O

To all you "Lurkers" out there, if you have some input on this,

Please, "Enter The Arena"!!!

Regards All, and Best
    GF ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.