Pause on start up NOD32 3.0.684

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by PaulB2005, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Been using NOD32 AV for 2-3 years now and never been a real problem. However i now have a very minor issue which I've been un-able to resolve myself.

I run a lean PC. I check every week for start up processes to remove and only have NOD and ePrompter running in the Notification Tray after start up. I know iTunes and Acronis True Image add processes that aren't in the tray but there hasn't been a problem until about a month ago.

Before the problem started once i logged into my PC the NOD32 Splash Screen would appear and quickly disappear and then the ePrompter and NOD32 Notification Tray icons would appear and i could use the PC approx 5-8 seconds after logging in. It felt like it was almost immediate.

All of a sudden about a month ago the Splash Screen now stays up for 25-35 seconds during which time very little else happens. Task Manager shows System Idle Process at between 93-99% whilst the Splash Screen is up, the PC is unusable and then it suddenly comes alive with a flurry of activity.

I've tried
    • Uninstalling and reinstalling NOD32.
    • Defragmenting the disk
    • Cleaning up the list of start up programs
    • Emptying the Update Cache
    I'm really struggling for ideas now. Not a major issue but one I'd like to sort out if possible.

Grateful for any help.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you using wireless and have a good connection?

You could also download Autoruns and look in the logon tab to see what is starting and if any of those may be interfering in some way. You can selectively uncheck the items to see if it helps.

3. PaulB2005

Connected to Router via Ethernet Cable with 10 Mbps Cable Service.

Exactly how i've been doing it so far..... :)

Once loaded everything run normally it's just this weird pause on start up...

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It still sounds like some sort of connection problem. NOD attempts to update or check the servers on startup as you know.

Coincidently, my ADSL was out earlier this morning and I saw the behavior you are mentioning.

5. PaulB2005

I did think it might be the update function holding everything up, but it happens on every reboot - all Internet activity is halted because on one occasion it went on so long ePrompter started doing it's checks and timed out. Once everything continued ePrompter connected immediately as normal.

The router & modem are restarted daily.

6. PaulB2005

Event Viewer shows the following

So i'll try down that route.

Thanks

7. layman

layman Registered Member

Please post if you get to the bottom of this. I have this same problem on one of three machines running NOD32 in our home office.

8. PaulB2005

Just sorted it

Found an old NetGear FA311 PCI Network Card. Installed it and used that instead on onboard LAN. Now starts up with no delays and no errors.

Perhaps a reinstall Windows would have sorted it but this is just as good.

Seems Internet is slightly faster too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.