Patrick Volkerding interview (slackware)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

this is a really good interview, about half way through i decided to download slackware and use it without a PM. i'm going to install it over zenwalk ;) i've got a qemu image of SLS Linux too :eek: which i'm going to install too :cool:

http://www.tllts.org/dl.php?episode=164

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I recently did an install of Slackware 11. A tutorial is being baked as we speak.
    Mrk

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sounds good. i suppose zenwalk uses the slackware installer, so i hope i have no problems. i had a look at the installation instructions here - http://www.slackware.com/install/ and it just put me off, so i'm not going to follow instructions unless i get stuck!

if something looks too complicated i won't do it, i generally prefer to just install things without knowing lol

i haven't installed ubuntu, except in vmware, because after looking at what i have to do to get it installed on my hardware i just don't want to do it -
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

i just tried SLS linux which slackware is based. it's the version from 1993 :D look at the date in this screenshot :D

Attached Files:

• SLS.png
      SLS.png
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Slack is more difficult than other linuxes. It's very old fashioned and takes a bit more time to configure. Plus it uses BSD style scripts, which are different from what you may be used to. Things are less intuitive.
    But it's ok - fun and cool like all linuxes - you'll see the guide soon.
    Mrk

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i've used all those startup scripts and all the other manual stuff when i setup arch (rc.d i think is the directory) and to a less extent zenwalk (zenwalk is just a slackware fork with a package manager with afew programs), but arch is all text based, parts of the install go like this -
    and now you need to setup your network, click OK to continue
    so you click OK, and a blank text file opens o_O lol

then when the install has finished you think 'oh yeah' and you get a prompt with no DE, and i had to manually configure xorg because when i did install a desktop it wouldn't start :'( then, then same day i had arch all setup perfectly i decided to do a server install of dapper and formatted arch by mistake :p

but, that's what i mean about seeing how difficult things are before you do them - i'd never have installed arch at that point if i'd had a clue :doubt:

i just remembered SLS's got a gui too :rolleyes: lol

qemu has a memory leak though so i can't use the desktop :mad: everything hangs.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.