Patrick Volkerding interview (slackware)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

this is a really good interview, about half way through i decided to download slackware and use it without a PM. i'm going to install it over zenwalk ;) i've got a qemu image of SLS Linux too :eek: which i'm going to install too :cool:

http://www.tllts.org/dl.php?episode=164

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I recently did an install of Slackware 11. A tutorial is being baked as we speak.
    Mrk

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sounds good. i suppose zenwalk uses the slackware installer, so i hope i have no problems. i had a look at the installation instructions here - http://www.slackware.com/install/ and it just put me off, so i'm not going to follow instructions unless i get stuck!

if something looks too complicated i won't do it, i generally prefer to just install things without knowing lol

i haven't installed ubuntu, except in vmware, because after looking at what i have to do to get it installed on my hardware i just don't want to do it -
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

i just tried SLS linux which slackware is based. it's the version from 1993 :D look at the date in this screenshot :D

Attached Files:

• SLS.png
      SLS.png
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Slack is more difficult than other linuxes. It's very old fashioned and takes a bit more time to configure. Plus it uses BSD style scripts, which are different from what you may be used to. Things are less intuitive.
    But it's ok - fun and cool like all linuxes - you'll see the guide soon.
    Mrk

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i've used all those startup scripts and all the other manual stuff when i setup arch (rc.d i think is the directory) and to a less extent zenwalk (zenwalk is just a slackware fork with a package manager with afew programs), but arch is all text based, parts of the install go like this -
    and now you need to setup your network, click OK to continue
    so you click OK, and a blank text file opens o_O lol

then when the install has finished you think 'oh yeah' and you get a prompt with no DE, and i had to manually configure xorg because when i did install a desktop it wouldn't start :'( then, then same day i had arch all setup perfectly i decided to do a server install of dapper and formatted arch by mistake :p

but, that's what i mean about seeing how difficult things are before you do them - i'd never have installed arch at that point if i'd had a clue :doubt:

i just remembered SLS's got a gui too :rolleyes: lol

qemu has a memory leak though so i can't use the desktop :mad: everything hangs.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.