Password Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ronconno, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronconno

ronconno Registered Member

I have recently purchased a boxed retail version of Disk Director 10 registered it OK on Acronis website, when installed on an windows XPSP2 machine it asks for a password before it will do anything, I have not set up any passwords, do I need a password ? and if so does Acronis send you one?. Anybody have any ideas,

Thanks

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The only password option that I know of in DD is the one where you can 'protect' yourself from non authorised people running it.

Did you by chance under the disk menu click on set password? As I have never used this option I don't know if it has the 'unset password' capability.

If it doesn't I'd suggest an uninstall with a subsequent re-install is required.

Colin

3. Sageylee

Sageylee Registered Member

I've got the same problem.

I downloaded the update file and installed it, even though my version was already the most recent. There was no option to create a password during either the first installation or the second update installation.

I've written to Acronis support but haven't received a reply yet.

How can you create or change the password if you can't get into the program in the first place?

Frustrating.

Any assistance appreciated.

4. Sageylee

Sorry to repeat my request, but I've owned DD for a couple of days now and I still can't access it due to this password problem.

I'm running XP pro on a Dell inspiron 8600 pc. 512ram, 1.4 GHz. However I'm pretty sure my machine's config has nothing to do with finding the password needed to open DD. Or why there's a request for a password before the program has ever been used.

I have two other Acronis products and neither of them required passwords when first opened, and I haven't added passwords to them.

Anyone got any ideas about this?

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm out of suggestions here, my copy has never asked for a password to access DD.

Did you install it for all users or just for yourself?

Did you install it under an actual Admin account - not your account with admin priviliges?

Do you log on as a standard user or always with Admin priviliges?

Is your PC part of a managed network?

Could one of you post a screen capture of the problem?

I suggest raising a support ticket with Acronis.

Colin

Just a thought - are both versions originally boxed ones? Mine has always been a downloaded one, that might be a difference - but I'm grasping at straws here.

6. Sageylee

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I installed it from a download and updated version from the Acronis site, for all users from my personal admin account on a stand-alone machine.

I've already sent emails to support, but nothing back yet.

Thanks again!

7. Sageylee

Well, looks like I bought a lemon. Still can't access the program because of this password problem, and I haven't heard anything back from Acronis support.

I live in hope that someone here knows how to resolve this, because if this is the kind of assistance available from Acronis support, it's going to be hell trying to get my money back.

I'd much rather have a working program.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Have you received a ticket # from Acronis?

Colin

9. Sageylee

If you mean the numbers given in the auto-reply from support, yes - I have two....

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This is very odd, bear with me while I see if I can get my brain in gear.

The password box - does this look like an Acronis one or an XP derived one?

If you could attach a jpg showing this problem it would be helpful.

Have you anyother software that runs in the background that perhaps monitors software access?

Is this a Heinz 57 type machine or a brand name one?

Could you post some details about the machine?

It might be worth looking in services and msconfig and disabling some of the less essential startup items.

It might be worth checking through services, and seeing if you have something strange running - that might require low level access software to identify itself before being allowed to run.

When you uninstalled DD did you check to see if anything was left behind in registry?

As I said I've had DD for over a year and never had this problem- though OSS plays up on a regularly intermittent basis.

Colin

11. Sageylee

Thanks, Colin,

I have a Dell 8600 running xp - it's a stand alone machine.
    The password box is definitely Acronis based. Not an xp window. There is no password based software running in the background. I have no password problems with, or passwords attached to either of the other two Acronis apps on this machine.

I'll attempt to attach a pic..

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Wow, never seen that!

Does your title bar say Acronis Disk Director Suite Demo?

If so and you have a paid for version - this might be the cause.

Colin

13. Sageylee

Well.. so it does! In my haste to solve this problem, I just didn't notice that.

Thanks for drawing that to my attention!

I have a paid version, so I wonder why I was directed to download a demo in the first place; why didn't the upgrade installation make a difference, and how do I fix it?

And.. I wonder if the OP has the same problem....

14. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

You owe me BIG TIME!!!!! :) Just saw your next post - this is for the password problem.

I've just done a trawl of all DD posts and found this from April 2004 from Acronis.

see what that does.

As for the demo problem - uninstall - delete any registry entry that says Acronis or DD - re- install, if problem still there try above.

Colin

15. Sageylee

Thank you so much Colin!

I'll give that a try right now..

Much appreciated!!

16. Sageylee

Ok.. Have uninstalled and reinstalled DD.. the registry already had permissions for Acronis so I haven't changed those yet.

I still have the password problem even though I now have the full version. Don't know where the demo came from, unless that was the 'latest version' I got from the update link.

Anyway, here's a pic of what I have now:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  17. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Did you check the actual software folder?

Both SYSTEM and your USER entry.

By the way DD should be build 2117.

We're getting close, it's my bedtime now here in Ozland so you won't hear any more from me tonight.

Colin

Attached Files:

18. Sageylee

Yup.. checked that.. permissions were already set. However I will uncheck them and re-check just to make sure.

Sweet dreams and thanks again fellow Ozlander!

Daylight saving sure messes with the biorhythms huh...

19. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ronconno and Sageylee,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Could you please do the following in order to fix this issue?

- Open registry editor (Start->Run->regedit) and do the following:

- Open the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\Acronis Disk Director\MAIN

- Set the following string for the password value: " 16 85 56 85 37 85 33 85 44 85 5 85 52 85 38 85 38 85 34 85 58 85 39 85 49 85"

Please be aware that there should be a space gap before the first digit. There should also be two space gaps between the digits 85 and 5. The string needs to be entered without quotation marks.

After that you should be able to successfully use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

20. Sageylee

Hello, Aleksandr

Thank you very much for this information. When you say two space gaps between 85 and 5, do you mean between the first 85 and the 5, or between the 5 and the second 85?

Much appreciated!

21. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Sageylee,

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my explanation.

Two space gaps should be the first between 85 and 5:

" 16 85 56 85 37 85 33 85 44 85(Two space gaps here)5 85 52 85 38 85 38 85 34 85 58 85 39 85 49 85"

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

22. Sageylee

Re: Password Problem (fixed!)

Thank you VERY much, Aleksandr. The program opens perfectly now. It is a shame there was no immediate remedy for the problem, however I'm glad it's been resolved.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.