Password Manager that allows searching the entire DB?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by macrosecurity, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrosecurity

macrosecurity Registered Member

Hello to everyone here at this great forum, I have learned so much from reading your posts :D

I have a question regarding password managers. I know this is a topic that has been discussed here many times and I have tried to find an answer to my question before polluting the forum with yet another Password manager inquiry :)

Basic info:
    My current insecure windows 7 based 'security' setup: Truecrypted volume, and inside the volume I have an axcrypt'ed .txt file where i have been storing my clear text passwords.
    I have been doing this for ages and have manually copy/pasted all login info from the text file directly into the browser.

While investigating the topic here and while doing some due diligence on my windows pc I realized that my setup is very flawed. I wasn't aware that when i decrypted the volume and the axcrypt'ed .text file a temporary decrypted file would be stored in the windows file system until i closed the .text file again - yikes!!

OK so fast-forward to now. I know i need a dedicated password manager and i have tried many: Lastpass, Keepass, KeepassX, Kaspersky

And none of them work the way i need them to.

What i miss is s strong search feature where i can search inside the entire DB, also in the 'notes' and in attached .txt files.

I have grown so used to having this large .text file with all my info that I need a password manager/information manager that is also focused on good and fast navigation and information accessibility.

usually I would search my current text file for old accounts and other search strings and it would return the information very fast and jump to the information in the file (my file contains in the hundreds of logins with information attached) so i need something flexible.

I'm not so focused on browser integration since I have been used to do it the slowest possible way, but it might be time to challenge that old habit.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you would recommend me to use for this purpose.

An information/db software that i really like is called MyBase desktop: -http://www.wjjsoft.com/mybase.html-

The problem is that it's only created to keep information sorted and not for security purposes.

something like that would be awesome if it had the security of Keepass or similar application :)

I know that using MyBase is secure while the Truecrypt volume is unmounted but while i use my PC it's almost mounted all the time and I feel vulnerable.

Another thing is that I have no backup in place if my main pc should be stolen or if the disks would crash. I would be an disaster if i lost the db files so that's also something i'm concerned about. I have thought about the dropbox method but i'm not too sure about that. maybe together with Cloudfogger or similar solution.

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I don't really use search features, but I just opened KeePass and LastPass and they both offer that option. In KeePass, there is a box in the tool bar, and in LastPass, you open your Vault, and there is a search box. LP just searches websites, but KP searches the Notes section - I just tried it and it worked. No clue on attached files.

PD

3. macrosecurity

macrosecurity Registered Member

Hello Paul,
    Thank you for the input.

I have tested the applications you refer to and none of the applications work the way i describe that i need.

Regards

4. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

If you are comfortable answering this... what, specifically, is KeePass lacking and why does that lacking present a problem for you?

I've used KeePass before and never found the search feature unable to find what I wanted to find. However, I didn't use the file attachment feature and just tried that. Perhaps there is a setting to control it, but a whole database level search for $text didn't find $text in an attached text file. Even if there is no way to enable searches to search attached *text* files and that is on your lacking list, I'm wondering why that would be a significant problem. The Notes field is for text and it is searchable. The file attachment feature is, I think, really for attaching certificates, keyfiles, things of that nature.

Did you get in the habit of using that text file for more than login credentials and related notes? Did it become a Personal Information Manager of sorts?

5. joelastpass

joelastpass Registered Member

LastPass has an option for searching notes in advanced but not attached files. Can you just paste those text files into the notes section and enable notes search?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.