Passport login problem with Hotmail

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by chuckenheimer, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer Registered Member

I am somewhat stymied in not being able to negotiate the Passport Sign In for my Hotmail account. The page seems to chug along for a short while and then gives up. What setting in LNS do I need to make beyond the initial Authorize button I've already pushed?

Thanks!

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

are you sure to allow HTTP and HTTPS ?
    (TCP ports 80 and 443).

Works fine here.

gkweb.

3. chuckenheimer

Hello back,

> are you sure to allow HTTP and HTTPS ?
    > (TCP ports 80 and 443).

Not sure where the configuration parameters are just yet. In fact, I just had a similar difficullty logging in to my Compuserve account so I figure the resolution for both will be similar.

Got here from my visits at the NOD32 forum after seeing the accolades for LNS. Great little program it appears once I learn my way around a bit better. I've been trying to read up on some forum posts here but hadn't happened upon an answer which is why I posted originally.

I believe I should mention that I have a hardware firewall that handles the inbound traffic and opted for LNS for the outbound traffic. I'm beginning to learn a bit more about the UDP and TCP ports and there relative functions but don't have a grip on the total concept which is why I'm somewhat struggling. I'm generally not one to ask "What's the answer exactly?" but would appreciate a little more direction, at least as to where to find the relevant material in the help/readme.

In the meantime, I'll search around a bit more to see if I can happen upon it by myself. BTW, I've seen your expertise on other posts and appreciate your ability to help others. Good show!

> Works fine here.

...and soon to be here, too.

Thanks!

4. chuckenheimer

Well, I'm happy to report that with a little searching around on the forum here that I have good news to report, even though I hate replying to my own post.

Without knowing how to determine whether HTTP and HTTPS (TCP ports 80 and 443) were being allowed to pass traffic, I did find out how to remedy my problem.

In fact, what I found was a very easy way to not only determine what traffic was being blocked (and in which direction, too) but also how to allow the blocked traffic passage.

When you have a problem with what you think is blocked traffic, you got to the log page and Remove All. You then reattempt to connect to the URL that gave you problems and while doing so, you then watch the log of blocked traffic. If the log entries are similar, double click (or use the Look button) on one of the entries and view that display. In the top right hand corner is a box indicating the directrion of the blocked traffic (Internet > PC OR PC > Internet) which will determine whether you allow either the Client or Server (outbound or inbound) traffic.

Next you clear that display and go back to the log entire you had double clicked on but this time you will right click on the entry to bring up the context menu where a rule can be created. With the knowledge of which direction of travel, you will chose the appropriate rule and that should allow the correct passage for the traffic. Once you have created the rule, you next go back to your browser and reattempt to connect to the problem URL. If you were successful with the rule creation, the URL should be no longer blocked.

If you continue to have a problem resolving the URL you would repeat the process over again. One thing I did notice was that during creation of my rule, the log entry context menu offered ICMP Type 3 and/or ICMP Type 4. This was confusing but I chose the offering where both Type 3 and Type 4 were displayed and the rule created was entered as only Type 3. I do not know yet enough about this development but the traffic is properly passing at this point.

My next inquiry will be to just what extent have I opened a port in the firewall and will there be any further need of fine tuning this rule to further restrict traffic that might be detrimental to my system. For now I'll just chug along until I find an answer to this second matter.

Hope anyone may benefit from my experience. Good luck and I'm liking LNS a bit better at this point. <G>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.