Partitioning USB 1TB Drive and Doing Multi boot Os's

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by BarJabba, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarJabba

BarJabba Registered Member

Hello folks!

I am new to DD and TI Home 09. I am excited AND a little perplexed. The more I read on the goals I am trying to accompish, the more difficult it seems. I will do my profile later...I am a developer and long time computer geek. :rolleyes:

I am trying to do these tasks:

Upgrade my XP Home to XP Pro. (after this comes the real hard stuff)

Use DD to partition my USB 1 TB external drive in preparation to:
    • Bring on two OS's.
    • Use for TI Image and back up

I have about 68 GB left on my main internal drive and I have about 850 GB on the USB drive. The USB drive is always connected. I am willing to make the USB a clean drive, if I can ulimatly put an image on it, or at least a full back up.

I want to have a multi boot of XP Pro, Ubuntu, Windows 7 RC. Ubuntu saved my butt a month ago, I am willing to give it a go and at least learn this distro.:shifty: Windows 7 RC is just a test and I am in tersted in it for onlt those purposes. I will be getting rid of it eventually. Maybe I will upgrade to when available. o_O

I have learned that the Ubuntu will be harder to manipulate into boot in OS Selector. I have the Live CD and am willing to give it its own space/partition. I want DD OS Selector to be the one in control of the boot managemnt if possible. I don't want my current system to be affected in anyway. I only want an image of my XP Pro and maybe if I stay with Ubuntu.

I am willing to get another internal drive if necessary, but I prefer not to. Windows 7 has a technique I can use. It's called a VHD. I know nothing about how to do that. I am reading a site that offers a sort of tutorial on it.

Right now, I am using a back up program that came cheap with another that I bought. It is ok, a little slow and really does better at syncing.

I can use TI to make a bootable CD. Making the USB bootable seems a little
    ify, but I do like the idea. Putting Ubuntu on it's own partition made on the free space on my main drive is ok, I prefer the USB Drive or rather to buy another drive. I am worried about mistepping and blowing up my MBR or worse. :ouch:

What steps would you take if you were performing these goals? I'll take any good advise.

I will be continuing to learn and read up until then. I have been amanyual reader since about 1983.

Thank you,

BarJabba

PS I hope I did not waste my money on buying TI and DD.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BarJabba,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Products!

I would like to give you basic recommendations:
    1. First of all you have to repatrition you Hard Drive with Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 taking into account that you'll need a separate partition for each Operating System you are going to use.
    2. After that I would recommend to create your current system partition backup with Acronis True Image Home 2009.
    3. Then you can install other Operating Systems, each to a separate partition. First you have to install Windows 7, after that Ubuntu. Please follow the instructions from our Public Knowledge Base article:
    1633: Creating a Dual Boot System with Linux
    4. After all Operating Systems are installed you can activate Acronis OS Selector.

Thank you.
    Daniel Pustovoy

3. BarJabba

BarJabba Registered Member

I have already created the image and activated OSS (it activated at install). I am out of the order if which you have advised me. I apologize, but, is there any problem in continuing on with the other tasks?

I can deactivate OSS and I could go through and make another full image after repartitioning the USB HDD. I don't think I am in too much trouble here am I?

Could you give me some suggestions for how much and how many partitions I should give Ubuntu? I think it should do whatever it needed to "a" partition. However, I also read that I should give it three different partitions ("/", "/Home" ect). I want to be sure that OSS is the boot manager/menu that goes to this OS and I do not mess up anything. I don't know anything about installing Ubuntu, as in, GRUB and LILO. I am also putting it on the USB drive. I will be putting Win 7 RC on my main drive "C:". I will seek a VM ware solution, so, I am not sure if doing Win 7 first is neccesary in this case. I will be putting this VM on the C drive of course.

Thank you so much!! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.