partitioning questions and help

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by iceni60, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm going to partiton my HDD i want to make a copy of my C drive so if anything happens, which for me usually does every 4/6 months, i can delete the patition i'm on now and use the backup image i'm going to make.

i also know that my computer will bootup quicker and have less work to do if i move some of my files on to another partition. so, that will be two patitions i want to make - one a backup and a smaller one for files to make my computer boot quicker and with files that don't need to be on my C drive.

in Disk Defragmenter it says i have 71% free space, so i think i should be able to do what i want to.

i have a problem though: the last time i tried to make a partition it failed, i think it was because i was using a program that made my whole HDD encrypted and i know that can mess these kind of things up. and then when i deleted the failed partition it did delete, but when i looked at free space on my HDD it was twice as small as it should have been. so the failed partition wasn't there but was still using up the space on my HDD it would have been

my first question is: can i make a System Restore point before i try and make my partition, so if it goes wrong i can restore back to how it was before? i also have MSs backup tool which i installed from my MS CD; do you think i should make a backup with that too? i haven't ever used it though and i don't have a DVD rewriter so i'd have to save it on my C drive.

how should i make the partitons? at school we use Partition Magic, but i don't have it. can i use the MS CD? i also have a copy of Acronis's Partition Expert, that's what i used last time when it didn't work, but i don't think it's the program's fault, but the encryption software i was using. when i installed Acronis's Partition Expert it got me to make some floppy disks, if i use Acronis's Partition Expert should i use them and go into the BIOS and boot from them, or do i just open the program and follow the instructions? i have had alook to try and work it out, but the PDF is very big and i need help from someone who knows how to use it correctly.

do i make the partitons Active, Primary or Logical? or would one of them have to be one and the other one i'm going to make another?

what size should i make the partitions? if i hover my mouse over my C drive it says:
    Free Space: 27.2 GB
    Total Size:38.2 GB

thanks for reading all of this :) if you can help me i will be very happy http://emoticons4u.informationalot.com/cool/cool32.gif
    and if there's any information i need to give i'll be happy to do so http://emoticons4u.informationalot.com/cool/cool18.gif
    thanks.

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  2. hadi

hadi Guest

sorry for the big mistake in above message

Not really with nowadays computres. Tried it my self and didnt notice any difference
    Correct
    System restore restores files not partions
    No need for full program.You need the two floppy disks partition magic creates during install.Open PMagic and look in its menu(under tools I think)and hit make emergency floppes-have two formated floppies ready-insert first floppy and restart (its bootable)then you'll be prompted to insert the second thats it. you work in a DOS like GUI.
    Yes but you work in an invisible world.
    yes you can
    NO bios. they are bootable insert 1st one first then you'll be prompted to insert others
    logical, active your first existing is the primary.
    according to your need and as far as you are in the empty area of the disk.that is IF you are going live partitioning (meaning:keeping OS and prtitioning the free space of the HD)

3. hadi

hadi Guest

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Wow, thanks for your time hadi :)

i'd really like to be able to make a backup incase somethng goes wrong, but i don't think it's possible without a CD/DVD rewriter. does anyone know of something that can do it? it will have to be kept on my C drive, maybe SyncBack, Cobian Backup or http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm

i am fairly comfortable using the MS CD. i have often used it to make partitions and i know how to choose what size i want to make them too, and i know how to delete it if it goes wrong. but, that is only on a freshly formatted drive. i think i'll try that way, the only thing is i haven't ever seen it let you decide if you want to make it Logical, Active etc. will there be any problems making the partitions on my drive now? as it isn't a fresh install?

sorry for all the questions, i know i don't normally go on so much, it's just that i'm scared i'll make a mistake.

5. dog

dog Guest

Hi Ice, ;)

1. For Partitioning Software - I would recommend Partition Magic - it's well worth the money. You can change your partitions as needed, from creating new partitions to resizing or deleting existing ones. Along with a few other things. ;) It's completely safe, and extremely user friendly, make sure you create the rescue boot disks (2 Floppies). I use the PowerQuest version of PM 8, which was purchased by Symantec, but you can still purchase the older PowerQuest branded version at a slight discount from the current Symantec offering. While supplies last at least. :)

2. Personal I store everything on different partitions, I also use multi-internal drives too. It makes life much easier, and allows for smaller images of the windows boot drive. I also create backup images of the other partitions, just encase I accidently delete something, it can easily be restored - these images don't have to be updated too frequently. I also keep a baseline image of the windows drive as a backup, along with imaging updates frequently which I append to a separate active image file.

3. For Imaging Software - I would recommend Acronis True Image - It's a great program, that's very intuitive to use and is very reliable. I had been using Norton Ghost until I recently made the switch to Acronis TI 8, which is a much better product IMHO.

HTH,

Steve

6. hadi

hadi Guest

The best, reliable, fast, effecient, no mistakes,no fuss, no wait, alltype of files go in one run,dont care about what type of files, just copy and best and 100% no problems backup is to hook another HD in place of your CDROM.so try to find small size that suits your need. they are cheap in computer repair shops or at car boot sales or in old thrown computer junk yard if there is one

Trust me I have done many times: the two PMagic floppies simple,easy, more than enough and do what I call "live partitioning"
    IF you are going live partititoning:
    1-backup you files
    2-run scandisk/chkdsk
    3-defrag (Important)
    4-defrag again
    5-insert 1st PMagic floppy and restart insert second when prompted
    6-follow instruction to cut just what you want from HD free space dont reach the occupied space PMagic shows you where the data area is (different colour)
    7-when finished take floppy out and restart.

otherwise I recommend fresh install when you use M$CD to partition.

7. hadi

hadi Guest

in step 7 above when finished b4 you take floppy out
    on Pmagic menu select FORMAT choose the type of format ntfs/fat or other
    in the same menu choose to format logical/primary when finished.Now you can remove floppy and restart.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks Dog and Hadi. i might take in a floppy to school today and see if i can copy PM then i can use that :) thanks Steve

Hadi, instead of hooking it up to the CDROM wouldn't it be easier to hook it up to the slave on the HDD's IDE? or isn't that how it's done o_O

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  9. hadi

hadi Guest

PM is an installed program you cant copy it in the first place and two floppies are nothing compre to its size. BUT the two floppies are emergency floppies the program creates during install. to give you access to the program in case some thing goes wrong. Now these two floppies can be done at any time not only during installation. Go to PM menu and lookfore "create emergency floppies" select it making sure putting a formated floppy in its drive and follow instructions

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have just realised that i will be OK. I'm going to try it out on a computer at school first. I'll do it during break-time so i can grab a teacher if it goes wrong :D

Thanks for all your help and time Hadi and Steve. :)

11. hadi

hadi Guest

Yes ofcourse make sure jumpers are set accordingly.

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

I don't have a copy PM, only at school not at home, so, i think the only way i can try it at school which will also work at home will be with the MS CD and i think they have their own copy of XP with a disk, i hope, so i shouldn't need to make any changes with the Jumper switches. anyway, i'm going to try and get a techer to show me :cool:

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Oh sorry, i wasn't with it. you were talking about the IDE slaving sorry :oops:

14. hadi

hadi Guest

Jumpers thing was an answer to your question about hooking HD. it has nothing to do with PMagic

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for that, although i wont be using it right now i would have thought that the cable select would have worked without any configuration as, i think, all computers come with an IDE cable select now. you'd think that the cable select jumper would automatically be configured, but i bet mine hasn't knowning my computer

16. hadi

hadi Guest

Not all computers. new ones use different connection (serial for ex)for fast read/write and making drive less noisy. Back to IDE
    Some kind of Hard disks won't work with autoselect. So to be on safe side (means computer (bios) recognize HD and OPerating system wont hangup. set
    Master for HD connected to IDE far end
    Slave for HD connected to the middle connector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.