partitioning problem

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by shakespeare, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakespeare

shakespeare Registered Member

i am partitioning an external hard drive connected through my usb port. i've managed to get 4 partitions set up. i'd like to create one more but DD says it's unable to create the partition. i've updated to the most current build and i've tried booting from the DD cd (will only work in safe mode which will not allow access to the usb port) but nothing works. what next?

Attached Files:

• dd1.JPG
      dd1.JPG
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
  2. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

What is the EXACT error message, your picture does not show an error message, just the layout which looks fine.

3. shakespeare

shakespeare Registered Member

Here's the message. I'm trying to use the unallocated space on the right side.

Attached Files:

• dd2.JPG
      dd2.JPG
      File size:
      87.4 KB
      Views:
  4. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

You can not create another PRIMARY partition, you already have 4 of them on that HD. You should be able to create a LOGICAL partition however.

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Actually, hard disks only have room for 4 entries in the partition table. Each primary partition uses up an entry and an unlimited number of logical partitions fit in a "container" that uses up one entry. So, in your case, you can have up to 3 primary partitions and then the rest of them have to be logical partitions.

So you need to first convert at least one of your 4 partitions from primary to logical and then you can add additional logical partitions. I would recommend converting the partition shown as "I" to logical and then you can create as many additional logical partitions as you want.

6. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Ya, thanks for clairifying that. I forgot you can only have 3+

OR

You could use Terabytes BootIt NG and have up to 200+ primary partitions if you want. For more information see their web site:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.html

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.