Partition Wizard

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It was talked about recently in glowing terms in these forums so I decided to try it out. It was excellent, having used it to resize two data partitions, one of them smaller, the other larger. That's my only experience with it - albeit a positive one - so take my opinion for what it's worth. If I'm not mistaken, you don't want to be trying it on your System partiotion, as I think it will mess it up badly. But even with non-system partitions, make sure you've got things backed up before resizing/moving

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I doubt that it won't work with a System partition at least prior to Win 7.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

A double negative, so you mean it will work? :)

Just an update. It warns not to resize the system partition, but I thought to heck with it, I will try anyways ;) After all I have ShadowProtect backup images in place if necessary. Basically you will encounter what is explained here (their demo is using GParted) so you do need your Vista/Win7 installation disk.

I was able to shrink my system partition from ~100GB to ~60GB. Doing this messed up the MBR but it was easily fixed by running the Repair option off my Vista installation disk. After this, I used up that free space by expanding my storage drive an extra ~40GB. This Partition Wizard bootable cd (Linux based) is excellent :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.