Partition Wizard

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Howard Kaikow, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It was talked about recently in glowing terms in these forums so I decided to try it out. It was excellent, having used it to resize two data partitions, one of them smaller, the other larger. That's my only experience with it - albeit a positive one - so take my opinion for what it's worth. If I'm not mistaken, you don't want to be trying it on your System partiotion, as I think it will mess it up badly. But even with non-system partitions, make sure you've got things backed up before resizing/moving

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I doubt that it won't work with a System partition at least prior to Win 7.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

A double negative, so you mean it will work? :)

Just an update. It warns not to resize the system partition, but I thought to heck with it, I will try anyways ;) After all I have ShadowProtect backup images in place if necessary. Basically you will encounter what is explained here (their demo is using GParted) so you do need your Vista/Win7 installation disk.

I was able to shrink my system partition from ~100GB to ~60GB. Doing this messed up the MBR but it was easily fixed by running the Repair option off my Vista installation disk. After this, I used up that free space by expanding my storage drive an extra ~40GB. This Partition Wizard bootable cd (Linux based) is excellent :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.