Partition Sizing When Cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by canaro99, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canaro99

canaro99 Registered Member

I bought TI8.0 to clone my 60 gig HD onto a 120 gig HD with one 120gig partition. I've tried to do it 4 times (auto and manual with each of the three options). My result: 2 55 gig partitions.

Screen shot: TI View of drives

Tech support tells me to read page 39 of the user guide -- I have (several times).

I've tried to see what would happen with the DM Suite (demo) -- same problem. (I know that the demo will not make changes -- it won't even show simulated changes.)

Any ideas?

Thanks. John

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

When you clone the drive it doesn't matter what partitions you have on the destination drive because Acronis True image will delete them anyway. You cannot change the number of partitions during the cloning but you are able to resize partitions that will be created on the destination hard disk. In "Auto" mode the space will be distributed proportionally to those on the source hard disk. "Manual" mode allows you to resize partitions in the way you need (providing the size of a particular partition is not less than the size of the data stored on it).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. canaro99

Illya,

Thank you for your reply. You told me what the program should do -- not what it has done. Is there any way for me to have one 120 gig partition on the destination drive?

Also, you can see (I hope) from the screen shot that there is a red circle with a white "X" in the upper left corner of the "new" drive. What does this mean?

Thanks.

John

4. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

How many partitions exist on the original 60gig drive? Is it just one 60gig partition or is it multiple partitions?

5. canaro99

Hi JimmyTop

Just one partition.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.