Partition Resizing

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by iceni60, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i just tried to put the contents of my "My Received Podcasts" on to my E partition, but it wont fit :( , it needs to be resized - made bigger. does anyone have any ideas which software would be best. i can't afford for it to go wrong.

as it's just a one off thing i was thinking of maybe using a trial product.

Or, if anyone has a test machine, and they feel like it, could you try out Partition Resizer and tell me what you think? doesn't resize NTFS partitions. thanks :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Partition Magic is by far the best and easiest and most reliable partitioning tool available. I have used it for a long time and it just works flawlessly.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'll have a look at it (price and trail wise), i have used it and liked it, it's just that i only need it for a one off. i have got a copy of Partition Expert, but it's on CD and my CD drive is broken. it was installed but i uninstalled it when it deleted my E partition when i wanted it to delete my F partition. i'm as sure as i can be it was PE that made the mistake.

4. Hi Icenic60, Partition Magic is only a demo, you have to buy it if you want to use it, you better use BootIt NG 1.75, the trial is a full version for 30 days, so that you may resize your partition, it is very easy to use it, it works from DOS, you only have to use it on a floppy disc.
    donwload it here:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

when you have downloaded it, you only have to run the the file "BOOTITNG" that is inside BootIt NG 1.75 and it creates the floppy disk or CD as you like it.

I have use many programs of this kind like partition magic, partition commander and others, and this is the one I prefer, partition magic is good but too big and you have to install it, this is a little one and you don´t have to install it, and it is very complete.

BootIt™ NG Features:

* Compatible with all Windows versions (9x/ME/NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista).
    * Compatible with x64 (AMD64/EM64T) and Windows 64bit OS (non-GPT).
    * IEEE1394/USB 2.0 high-speed support for imaging/partitioning
    * Support for large hard drives (2 TB) and partitions (1-2 TB)
    * Non-destructive resizing and conversion for FAT/FAT32
    * Non-destructive resizing for NTFS
    * Creation and (secure) deletion of partitions/volumes
    * Undelete partitions/volumes
    * FAT/FAT32 formatting
    * Copying and moving of partitions/volumes
    * Support for Linux Ext2/Ext3 and ReiserFS file systems
    * Imaging (including directly to CD-R/RW or DVD+R+RW-R-RW)
    * Booting any partition on any hard drive (via BIOS)
    * Booting from the CD/DVD drive
    * Booting multiple operating systems from a single partition
    * Create over 200 primary partitions (if desired)
    * User ID and password protection
    * Free upgrades (1.00-1.99) (registration-key versions only)
    * And lots more...

Hope you use it!

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, zorro zorrito. i had just downloaded Ranish Partition Manager, as long as this doesn't need a working CD? mine's broken, i'll definately use it. i think Nick S uses this too.

so, i download it, put it on a floppy and boot into it?

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK, i think i understand. i'll download it now. thanks for the help [​IMG]

7. Iceni60, you may use a floppy disc, just run the "BOOTITNG" file in BootIt NG and it is going to make the floppy, very easy.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have decided not to bother.

i booted into BOOTITNG and it said click OK to install. there was a mouse pointer on the screen but it didn't move, just sat there looking stupid. it wasn't even a good looking pointer anyway. i have a PS/2 mouse maybe it uses a com, i don't know.

i tried Ranish, it made a boot disc, then said it was "updating the boot sector" with a progress bar. i sat there for about 5 minutes and the progress bar didn't move. maybe the progress bar was the same colour as the background, i don't know, or care.

i saw my Father about a week ago, this was before i knew my CD drive was broken. he has about 10 PCs that he no longer uses. i asked if i could have a DVD recorder and a HDD, if he'd said yes i'd have no PC problems at all, he effectively said no.

i'm so happy at the moment http://nowe.pl/uploads/smil3dbd4e5e7563a.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.