partition recovery with file record corrupted

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Randy Smith, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Registered Member

Hi,

Newbie DDS 10.0 user here. Win XP sp2 with a one week old misbehaving external firewire/usb2 drive.

Today my 3 partitions (letters, L, M and N) on an external Firewire drive (300 Gb Maxtor) suddenly started telling me there was nothing on my drives. Windows tells me "L:\is not accessible The file directory is corrupted and unreadable."

The drive was originally formatted using NTFS with Control Panel:Administrative Tools:Computer Management:Disk Management, and told me the drive was healthy. It still does actually. The 2 internal drives are okay and functioning properly. Nonetheless I have a DVD project on the external and I don't want to lose 4 days of edits (I know, mybad).

Onward. DDS has gone through a partition recovery process and I'm about to "commit" the recovery but I'm uncertain if my files are still retrievable because when I click on the recovered disk and read the properties I have a red X indicating 1 error for the file system and it states "File System error: File record corrupted".

So am correct in thinking that I may recover a partition with no files and/or is still corrupted? So I'm right back where I started. If so I guess I need to try a file recovery utility first.

Once I recover from all this I should no doubt reformat the external with DDS in only because my geek friends tell me its the best.

Thanks,
    Randy

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Randy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 does not allow you to recover separate files from the corrupted partition. It can recover a lost or deleted partitions only. We can suggest you to check the disks for errors by means of Windows embedded CheckDisk tool:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If the problem remains after the disk checking then you can try to use some kind of third-party software for file recovery.

Please also note that if you reformat your external hard drive using Acronis Disk Director Suite then all the data from it will be lost, so we recommend you to save it in some other location before reformatting.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.