Partition Question Boot.ini

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by colsearle, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colsearle

colsearle Registered Member

I recently had a customer's machine in for repair. The OS HD had developed bad sectors.
    The 2nd HD was a 500gb Seagate so I used Paragon HDM 12 WinPE to create a new 120gb partition before the partition on this 2nd drive and then managed to clone the OS drive into this new 120gb partition.

All went well but there was something I noticed in the boot.ini (XP) file and this is my question.
    It lists the partition containing the OS as partition 2 and yet it's in the first, And newly created 120gb partition.
    Now I can kind of understand how the original partition might retain the partition label 1 but I just wanted to run this by somebody why might be able to explain better. Can the partitions be relabelled so as the boot.ini reads correctly or was I right to leave it alone.

I tried editing Boot.ini to partition 1 but it failed to boot complaining about not finding Hal. I checked for system files on the second partition and there were none.

I quickly ran a fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console but it made no difference. Thinking about it.... Could the Boot.ini already have listed the OS as partition 2 before the cloning operation ?

I have already returned the machine to the customer.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.