Partition Manager + chkdsk ruined all of my files

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by ChrisGlass, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisGlass

ChrisGlass Registered Member

I sent a similar email to support.
    My main hard drive, 500GB, had two partitions, a D and C. (D came first, I don't know why)
    D was 100GB exactly and empty by now. C filled the rest, save for 7.48MB or something like that.
    Anyways, I got Partition Manager and ran it under Windows 7 to merge the partitions together.

Sure enough it reboots into the DOS version of the program and takes forever to do. When it finishes, Windows 7 doesn't boot.

I run chkdsk on the Windows 7 Recovery disc and it rewrites all the security IDs and 'restores' the files but they're all filled with junk. Is every 100GB off? is there ANY hope of getting my data back? I can reinstall windows, but I want my data. :(

2. Zageron

Zageron Registered Member

If you fused C and D drive together, both the BOOT record and the Partition Table could be glitched.

It's most likely that the BR is the only one that is broken. That can be fixed via the Paragon Recovery Disk. I don't know what you did with the Windows 7 disk so...

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

If I understand you correctly , you changed the start sector of the windows partition .

That is why it won't boot - it is to be expected when you do that. Windows 7 bcd needs to be updated to reflect the new partition arrangement.

Checkdisk will have repaired ntfs filesystem errors - they would have been present before you partitioned. Hope fully those have been fixed now as well.

It took a while, because ALL the data on the C partition ( I understand that was the 2nd partition ? ) needed to be moved all the way to the left ( in disk management view) to create the new enlarged partition. That is normal.

If you run startup repair from the 7 dvd/recovery disk , it should be able to update bcd and you will be able to boot into windows. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 runs of Startup repair.

Hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.