Partition Manager 10 Won't Resize Partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Wasila, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

Hi,

Partition Manager 10 doesn't work properly for me. On opening occasionally I get a message about not being able to open due to Hard Drive Engine being in use, but then it opens as usual.

I am trying to redistribute space between two partitions, and I manage to get through the wizard. After hitting 'Apply' the progress box comes up, and I am promptly told to restart to do the operation. However, upon restarting the computer proceeds straight to the login screen, and from the desktop. The partition is not resized, and it acts as if I had never done any repartition. Help much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wasila

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Wasila:

What particular partitions are you working on?

From what you have said in your post one must be the C partition since PM10 asks you to reboot. PM10 can't resize C as it is active and that is where the OS lives. The other thing is it really wants you to have resizing done on adjacent partitions.

Partition Management

3. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

Express Resize Partitions doesn't work because 'wizard did not find paritions that could be distributed' so I use 'Redistribute Free Space'. I am adding space to C: and removing it from the adjacent partition (adjacent in the bottome part of the screen?) D:.

The problem is not that I am stopped from redistributing free space - it is that when Paragon restarts nothing happens (as if it was a regular restart).

4. Escalader

Right! Now I get it! It sounds like a case for a support request at Paragon site. What have they said about this one?

5. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

Hmm... well I got this program from giveawayoftheday.com and I don't think that comes with support, right?

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do.

It is probabaly better to select Full Scale Launcher and do the operations by rt clickng the partition and select Move/Resize.

Please post a screen shot of the Paragon Main Window, and describe what you would like to do.

7. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

Unfortunately, this problem exists with all operations no matter what. I have tried right-clicking etc but that doesn't work either.

I'll try and explain using screenshots...

I am using Option 1.
    After going through settings and hitting Apply, I get 2.
    I click restart on picture 3.

However, the system does a regular restart. It does not go into boot mode, or do anything to move partitions. As said above, I have the same problem with similar operations.

Attached Files:

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It appears to be having trouble setting up the bootable resource.

Try using the boot disc to do the entire operation.

I really recommend using the main interface, instead of the wizards.

It is much easier to control the job and see what you are doing from the main Interface. Like this:

AA-PM10PERS-2010-01-11_180544.jpg

If you could let us see the Disk Map at the bottom - so we can see the current partitions , and explain exactly what you would like to do - that would help.

NOTE: In the personal edition Linux/DOS recovery CD, you can get to the Full Scale window by booting the cd - select Normal Mode- then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace together.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  9. Escalader

You are asking the wrong guy! Ask Paragon, it strikes me they would support you that is my experience.

10. Escalader

Hi Guys:

I agree with this post 100% move to the bootable disk bring up PM10 and make the change, 1 change and one change only. Then reboot normally remove bootable cd.

IF this fails then I suspect your PM10 download may be corrupt. So then do the following steps, re-boot after each.

1) Uninstall PM10 completely and clean up PC, use CCleaner at a minimum

2) Defrag the PC.

3) Update windows if not at latest and greatest

4) Run all your scanners for possible malware

5) Download a fresh copy of PM10 from Paragon web site from within your user account their.

6) Install it again, with all AV's and FW's off!

7) Create a NEW bootable cd and try to do your partition work again.

Good luck

11. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

For some reason, when you apply the changes and restart, the operation doesn't take. This may be due to your system if it's 64bit. Like the others recommend, create the recovery disk, and run all the operations from outside of the OS. Take each step separately and apply one at a time. For example, if you need to shrink one partition and expand another, right-click the partition you want to shrink, downsize it, and apply. As a reminder, you need the FREE (unallocated) space adjacent to the partition you want to add to. Then right-click the partition you want to expand, and move/resize.

Running from the CD requires no restart nor does it conflict with Windows. Good luck. If you have anymore specific questions, describe what you have and what your ultimate goal is.

Thank you SIW2 and Escalader.

12. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

I don't have a boot disk - can I create one in the Partition Manager? If so, where is the option. I am running a 32 bit system - Windows XP - and I want to take roughly 15 GB from the rightmost drive and move it to the centre drive.

Attached Files:

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Wasila,

What happened to your drive letters.

You can make the boot disc by clicking Tools>Recovery Media Builder.

The rightmost drive is an Extended partition . It is like a container inside which you can create Logical drives. You have one Logical drive in there.

You need to shrink the Logical Drive first - Rt click it , select Move Resize - drag the edge over to the right the desired amount. Click Yes, Click Apply.

SE-1-2010-01-16_220848 (Small).jpg

SE-2-2010-01-16_221029 (Small).jpg

That will take a long time - because all the 58.2gb of data on there has to be moved to the right.

2. Now you can shrink the Extended partition itself. Under the partitions tab, rt click the extended partition, select Move/Resize. Drag the edge all the way right. Click Yes . Click Apply. That will be very quick.

SE-3-2010-01-16_221109 (Small).jpg

SE-4-2010-01-16_221316 (Small).jpg

3. You now have Unallocated Space outside of the Extended partition , and adjacent to the Primary partition you want to extend.

Rt click the Primary you wish to extend, select Move/Resize, drag the edge to the right. Click Yes.Click Apply.That will also be quick.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  14. Paragon_Tommy

15. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

Well, I've successfully made a boot disk. The problem is that to use the express resizing on that boot disk I have to have two drives that are the same type; I am trying to move space from an extended partition to a primary partition.

I tried using the option 'change to primary partition' (in regular Windows), however I get similar problems with nothing happening. I tried to therefore get the job done without shutting down, but I haven't managed to get rid of the (attached) services that stand in my way.

Attached Files:

16. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can't use the Express resize in that situation. Either convert the Logical to Primary ( which you are trying to do , but being prevented by AVG - I use Avast Home Edition - it's great ). If you want to convert logical to Primary from Windows - turn off AVG.

Alternatively, convert Logical to Primary with the boot disc.

Or , follow my instructions in post 13 above to resize the logical drive first, then resize the Extended partition .

That will leave Unallocated outside the Extended partition . You can then rt click the Primary a adjacent to the Unallocated space , select move/resize and incorporate it.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  17. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

Trying to turn off AVG but failing - it's not easy. I'm also hindered by svchost.exe - and I don't know which is which (and they all seem to restart when I close them anyway).

Your last post was informative but it still didn't deal with the root problem - I can change all I like but when I apply the restart doesn't do anything. How do I convert logical to primary with the boot disk? I didn't see that option.

Thanks,
    Wasila

18. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

If you are using the Personal Edition of PM10 , select Normal Mode - when you get to the main screen , press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace - that will take you to the Advanced screen.

Hope it helps

19. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

In normal mode and at main screen - that combo does nothing.

20. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

How do I convert logical to primary with the boot disk? I didn't see that option.

Thanks,
    Wasila

21. Paragon_Tommy

I dont' seen an obvious way of converting a logical partition to a primary partition without doing one of the two:

1. Convert your entire disk to dynamic, then convert back to basic and specify to convert the first 4 partitions as primary.

2. Copy the partition elsewhere, delete the existing partition and extended partition, and copy back.

Assuming of course with option 1 that the logical partition you have is the only one, not the beyond the 4th partition on the disk. Option is requires additional space elsewhere to temporary store the partition data. You can right-click the partition to backup or copy partition to unallocated space. Restore or copy back when you've deleted the extended partition.

22. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Looking back , I see I didn't mention - the way I do it is to delete one the primaries. It can be undeleted afterwards ( as long as the total number of partitions will be no greater than 4 ). I have done it several times in the last few days. Paragon had no trouble undeleting the partition - in any case, I had an arc image backup.

There is a better way for you to do it that does not involve converting Logical to Primary , or deleting a partition.

Shrink the logical drive first - then shrink the extended partition. It is explained in post 13 with screenshots. You can do that from within Windows.

The Logical drive is inside the Extended partition . Rt click the Logical drive and shrink it from the left. When that has finished - obviously it will be smaller. The Extended partition that contains it will still be the same size. It now contains the ( smaller ) logical drive, and some free space.

Now, Rt click the Extended partition ( use the map in the center of the screen as in the picture above ) , and shrink the Extended partition from the left - now the free space is outside the Extended partition, and you can easily incorporate it into the adjacent Primary.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  23. Wasila

Wasila Registered Member

I understand the instructions you gave me - unfortunately there is no way of carrying them out. As I have said, there are processes running which mean that I am unable to work while Windows is on and the computer doesn't want to operate in boot-time mode. I am also not prepared to delete the partition.

AGV is not the only problem - for a start the svchost.exe refuses to go away.

24. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It is very odd you get that. There shouldn't be a problem resizing the logical drive - presumably it is not your boot partition.

Have you tried doing a full malware scan with a variety of tools ?

You might do a scan with something else - Avast home is free and very good MSE is also popular , but I think you need to uninstall avg first. - then scan with malwarebytes free - see if there is a problem there

25. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Aside from AVG, which as SIW2 said may need to be uninstalled, the svchost.exe represents a windows service. Please try stopping all unneeded windows services that may be accessing the drive. Process Explorer from sysinternals may help you identify which service is causing the problem, as it will show the running processes associated with svchost.exe

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.