Partition Expert issue

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by jbeall, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbeall

jbeall Registered Member

I have a serious problem after partitioning, and I hope there is an easy fix.
    I created a 90Gig partion, named Backups (K:) on 200 Gig drive Max (G:).
    After creating our backups, it turned out that the files were both on Max and on Backups.
    In My Computer, the drive letters are shown correct, but when I open Partition Expert, no letter is shown for Backups.

After rebooting, the letter for G: changed to K:, and there is ofcourse the explanation why both partitions have the same contents (though different size).
    I am unable to change the letter for Max back to G:, can not see the original contents of Max (G:) anymore.

How can this be fixed, without having to reformat the whole drive?
    Where did I do something wrong, or what caused this problem?

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders jbeall,

I can't answer your question about the Partition Expert (don't have it).
    If you have WinXP Pro and you just want to change drive letters, that is done in Disk Management. It is in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management, Right click drive you want to change and select: Change Drive Letter and Paths...

3. jbaell

jbaell Guest

Thanks for the suggestion, but is not that easy. Am using Win2k. Letters are fine in Win2k, not in Partition Expert.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jbeall

I am not clear as to what files you could be talking about, a new Partition on an HDD would have no files. o_O

Was the 200gb HDD a new drive, did it already have a Partition which you resized to make Partition named Backups, or use some free space.

I sound like you may have made a copy of a Partition by mistake in a smaller space, that the only way you could have files on a new Partition, and did not give it a drive letter, try giving it one with PE.

Can you upload a Image attachment of what PE is seeing. :eek:

Also I would change your optical drives to Y:\ and Z:\ or [W:X:Y:Z: depending how many you have] with Disk Management then reboot.

Windows will then change the Partition letters automatically on reboot. [well nominally it does. :doubt:]

It is strange I have always found it faultless, but that goes for nothing at the with your problem. :mad:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.