Partioning/Newbie

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by titanfan, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanfan

titanfan Registered Member

Hi, I installed an external Iomega USB HD 160gb. According to the documentation that came with this drive, "Iomega does not recommend or support multiple partioning of the drive". Now if I read the posts correctly Acronis will create partition layout itself. I also already have some data saved on this ext HD and again according to a post I read" repartioning a drive with data on it is risky at best".

Am I SOL with regard to using this new ext HD or am I not interpreting these posts correctly.

Thanks for your reply again I am trying to do my homework first before I possibly create, an unwanted and avoidable problem before I create an image with Acronis TI 8.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello titanfan,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

It is not risky to repartition your drive with data if you use the appropriate partitioning software for example Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/).

As for the number of partitions on the Iomega REV drive, it would be better if you contact Iomega Support Team concerning this issue. Acronis True Image will create partition layout itself according to the layout in the image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As long as you just want to store images created by TI 8 on the external USB drive, I don't see any problem. TI will not repartition the drive if you simply select it as the location to save and image of your system.

You might want to create a folder on the Iomega drive for backups with a name like TI Images or BACKUP and store all your images there to keep them separate from any other data that you store on the drive.

After making each image, use the Check image feature to confirm that there is no corruption. A small number of people have a problem with external USB drives, and you want to confirm that you are not in that unfortunate group.

I suggest that you also mount one of your images using the Explore feature. If you can Explore the image, that's further proof that it will restore correctly if you ever have to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.