Partial SFTP problem - Firewall ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Traveler2, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveler2

Traveler2 Registered Member

Partial SFTP problem - Firewall ?

For the last year I have used Dreamweaver to SFTP my remote server.

A week ago after making no changes I was not able to connect via Dreamweaver to my remote server using SFTP - but I could via passive FTP.

I can access my remote server via SFTP using Filezilla (on the same computer)

I spoke at length to Wired Tree my webhost and they found no problems with the server and were able to SFTP from their side.

They suggested a possible firewall problem.
    I contacted ESET support and sent them a log and they gave me a form letter type response with no discussion of the log.

I tried setting up an with exception automatic mode which did not help.

Any ideas on what to try next?

2. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Does disabling the firewall allow you to connect via SFTP?

3. Traveler2

I shall try and see I did no think of that.

Thank you.

4. nickster_uk

Another thing to try would be running the firewall in Interactive Mode...this should generate a prompt for access for Dreamweaver and the SFTP port used. Once you see the prompt, you can use it to generate a rule by clicking the 'Show advanced options' button

5. Traveler2

I made a rule to allow Dreamweaver access in and out.

I also tried disabling the firewall with no luck.

Does it sound like a non ESET issue?

6. nickster_uk

You could try in Safe Mode with Networking...if it works ok, that rules out any third party programs.

7. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

SFTP is NOT any kind of FTP. SFTP uses SSH. So, the title of this thread doesn't likely fit what you mean. Wrt FTPS (FTP with SSL/TLS encryption, you'll have to open all ports used for passive mode on your firewall. Simply because the traffic is encrypted and so the firewall can't have any clue what ports are being used for the data transfer connection. So, the "stateful" part really cannot get into play here.

8. Traveler2

Thanks everyone for your help - much appreciated.

Doktornotor,

I am not sure what you mean but SFTP uses Port 22 at my host and I am able to use this with Filezilla.

Also I tried to experiment with another computer but all else the same and I can use SFTP so this leads me to believe that somehow my Dreamweaver software has a problem.

So I will delete and reload it and hopefully all will be well.

Thanks again!

9. doktornotor

Well, I do not have Dreamweaver. SFTP indeed uses port 22, that's proper terminology in Filezilla then. BUT - I'm really unsure that what Dreamweaver calls SFTP is really using SSH - it may instead be using FTP over SSL, which - as said - is entirely different beast and would perfectly explain your firewall issues. As said, won't work w/ firewalls without additional manual set up.

10. Traveler2

Thank you very much for trying to help.

I am sorry if my post original post was confusing but I have used SFTP through Dreamweaver without extra settings for at least one year.

My problem is a mystery as it happened all of a sudden very recently with no changes to my settings.

11. doktornotor

Well... then first of all we'd have to know whether it's using SSH or FTP/SSL. The former is solvable, the latter - well sorry, if it's been working until now without additional setup then you must have had some improper setup such as allowing all incoming traffic on high ports (1024+), which got fixed now. (Reminds me, there's a thread about losing FW rules on upgrade, maybe that's a hint?)

12. Traveler2

No changes in settings and another computer with the same internet connection etc is able to connect through Dreamweaver using SFTP so I will give a fresh install of Dreamweaver a try.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.