partial disk imaging

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by hello2007, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

macrium reflect free version is a good imaging program to backup all of your data but is there a good free program that just backups a couple of software programs or whatever you like instead of backing up everything

2. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

How's your drive arranged?

4. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

what do you mean? its arranged normally have 2 hdd's one for storage the other for normal internet use

5. GlobalForce

In other words - partitioned.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hmm.....never heard about app. that make copies of installed programs,and i guess also its not easy as where you confronted with many files and folders,services,drivers and a lot of registry entries,but maybe there is such a thing,i don't know.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I am curious if really there is such a program because latest MS updates screwed my photoshop internals,it would be nice then to put back a healthy
    photoshop backup.

As always in such cases FDISR saved the day.

8. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The only way I know of to be able to back up complete program installations would be to make them portable using VMWare ThinApp (mega expensive) or AltirisSVS (free).Otherwise snapshot programs such as RollbackRX are the best option.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  9. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

never heard of a free software that does that, but softrescue and laplink pcmover are the only software that I know that can backup programs only without backing up the OS.

10. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

yes the primary drive has 2 partitions the operating C drive and the recovery drive thats about 10-15 gb that comes with vista

11. GlobalForce

And your C system partition's how large?

12. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

about 420gb

13. GlobalForce

This the one you image? Percentage occupied with I'm guessing - the majority of your essential programs installed?

14. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

its the primary drive with everything there programs etc has only taken 30% of space

15. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

if i use macrium reflect free edition will it backup my software programs too?

16. GlobalForce

Help me clarify your intent. The opening post suggests you've used Macrium, yet the last sounds like you haven't. Is it that you're unsure what happens during image creation? My hunch tells me you're worried about that four hundred and twenty gig partition of yours, and I'd agree, not an efficient use of resources imaging such a large system partition.

That thirty percent use you mentioned, you have much more on there besides system and program files? You don't have stuff like pics and movies sitting there, do ya? Do me a favor .... open your C folder drive then right clk both your programs and Windows folders, properties, and wait for size on disk. What's the total?

Take your time, try to be precise.

17. hello2007

hello2007 Guest

no i just looked at the sites features. Never used the program.

will it restore everything just like how it was with shorcut icons and files and folders being exactly in the same location as they were previously

and it backs up programs? even licensed ones?

18. GlobalForce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.