Paring down my system...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Luxeon, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I currently have Zonealarm Pro (built-in anti-spyware), Spybot, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender.
    I am giving NOD32 a trial.

I have read that it is usually fine to use only two anti-spyware programs, so I am considering removing Defender and Ad-Aware.

What are your recommendations?
    I read that Spybot is pretty good overall, and ZA allegedly has a good program as well.

Thoughts?

Many thanks,
    Bob

2. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Well first you can have as many anti-spyware programs on you computer as you can fit into your hard drive. Running them realtime at the same time is not adviseable.

I would recommend for on-demand: Superantispyware Free, AVG Antispyware 7.5 free, A-Squared free. I run one every week and it seems to work fine (so far they havent found anything). For realtime: SpywareTerminator is good program and it is free. I use Supernatispyware Pro myself at the moment, but i have used SpywareTerminator before.

There are many others aswell so most you can try and decide yourself what suites you.

Kristian

3. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

In fact, I think HIPS software is much better to use than any traditional anti--spyware programmes. Just add a SSM/PG/ProSecurity to your current security set up, only keep ZA Pro as real-time protection and set Spybot as on--demand (turn off the "teatimer"). The defence is strong enough IMO and such setup may save a lot of resouces .

4. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I had to look up what "HIPS" meant...it make sense.

I will look into adding a HIPS, keep the ZA (continuous) and use the Spybot on-demand (I already do this).

Though the Ad-Aware and Defender programs don't appear to be resource hogs, if they are limited in usefulness and/or provide opportunity for conflicts/errors/breakdowns, it is likely best to uninstall them.

Thanks for the assistance.

Oh...I have another question (unrelated), but will post it separately.

Bob

5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

I havent run a "spyware" ap since I tossed out IE and adopted firefox + noscript and a HIPS
    that was 4 years ago

what I really recommend is virtualizing \ sandboxing the traditional threat vectors (browser, email, IM)

sandboxie is free
    for "risky" surfing use a live CD (Knoppix, Slax, ect) also an ideal platform to scan your normal OS from the outside

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.