Paragon Total Defrag 2010 - aborting fast mode defragmentation?

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Hannes Rannes, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannes Rannes

Hannes Rannes Registered Member

Hello!

When I want to abort a fast mode defragmentation I get the message:

I wonder if this is really that risky or if that can happen only in very certain circumstances. I understand that the fast mode can lead to data loss in case of power outage for example, but also when the operation is cancelled normally?!

Would be nice if someone could explain that to me. :)

Thank you!

2. cortez

cortez Registered Member

When a defragmenter application is 89 megabytes big I would say if it makes an error (or "allows" external inexplicable occurrences) it might be apt to be big also (due to the ponderous code that it can trip on itself).

3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

It is 89 mb as the installer includes a ~50 mb iso image for making a bootable disk.

4. cortez

cortez Registered Member

So the application is 39 megs or so, I stand corrected (still pretty big for a defragmenter).

Thanks for the info about the bootable disk as it allows for defragmentation while windows is down. :thumb:

5. Raza0007

Also, the installer is an uncompressed ".msi", not a compressed ".exe". This is why it is huge as compared to others. I believe .msi has benefits as it can be deployed over a network.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. Raza0007

I believe you can safely abort manually. The data loss warning is only valid if there is a dirty shutdown when the defragmentor was running.

I recommend only using the fast mode if you have a laptop with battery or a desktop with UPS support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.