Paragon NTFS notificator process stealing a lot of CPU cycles

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by jhfenton, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jhfenton

jhfenton Registered Member

I've been running NTFS for Mac 10 for most of the last year on a Mac mini 2.5GHz i5 base model. Since July, I've been running it with developer previews of Mavericks without incident and with excellent performance. I've had two 4TB Firewire NTFS drives connected without any data issues.

Last week, I purchased a used 2.6GHz i7 mini, cleanly installed Mavericks, and migrated most of my apps and settings to the new machine. I soon noticed a "notificator" process in Activity Monitor that on idle constantly uses 100% CPU time on one of the eight virtual cores. When I ran a Handbrake video encoding session that used close to 700% CPU time, notificator would drop a bit, but was persistent in stealing some CPU cycles. And running Geekbench 3 shows a difference of 1300 points with the notificator process running (~11500) and "Quit" via Activity Monitor (12877).

So even though the machine can handle the load most of the time without breaking a sweat, it is hurting performance when it is needed.

I purchased an upgrade to NTFS for Mac 11 last night and installed and activated that on the i7 mini, but nothing changed. A bit of detective work shows that the notificator app is part of the Paragon NTFS software. (It resides inside the NTFS Preference Pane bundle.)

So, what does it do? And how can I make it stop slowing down my machine?

John

2. jhfenton

I've had no response to my support query or to this forum post.

In addition to the Notificator process stealing CPU cycles, I am getting strange behavior (system lockups, kernel panics) since upgrading to NTFS For Mac 11. And it appears to not be a coincidence.

Between the poor upgrade policy for NTFS For Mac 11, the bugs, and the failure to respond to support questions, I've uninstalled NTFS For Mac 11, and I'm copying nearly 4TB of data tonight off an NTFS drive in order to reformat it HFS+. I had the data on two NTFS drives/arrays, and I already moved one of them to HFS+. I have two Macs to run as servers now, I don't really need to keep the data in NTFS format at all.

John

3. ernestyao

ernestyao Registered Member

Same problem here. notification process has 100% CPU usage. Weird and how to fix it?
    OS X 10.9 on RMBP 13' (2013 late)

4. jhfenton

I opened a technical support request, but they want me to reinstall NTFS for Mac 11 and generate some technical data. And I haven't had time yet. NTFS for Mac 10 continues to work fine on my i5 Mac mini, but both 10 and 11 had the notificator task problem on an otherwise identical i7.

5. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

6. ernestyao

ernestyao Registered Member

After reinstalling Paragon NTFS, it's resolved. notificator no longer occupies CPU.
    I reinstalled it about 6 hours ago and use my macbook for about an hour. Reinstalling indeed works.

7. jhfenton

8. Roger Smith

Roger Smith Registered Member

I am using NTFS for Mac 12 and am having the same notificator problems. Is there an intermediate version for it?

9. Mark Williamson

Mark Williamson Registered Member

Same problem on NTFS for Mac 12.2.313 under Yosemite 10.10.5 on iMac15,1.

10. nimast

nimast Registered Member

Same problem here running v12.2.313 under Yosemite 10.10.5 on MBP retina 13

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.