Paragon NTFS Causing System Hangs/Beach Balls?

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by besweeet, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besweeet

besweeet Guest

I don't know if Paragon NTFS is causing this problem, but its been happening ever since I installed Paragon NTFS under 10.6.3. I will get random freezes, and beach balls. Could this be due to Paragon NTFS? NTFS on Snow Leopard has been buggy no matter what you're using to access those drives/partitions. I'd use NTFS-3G, but the performance is quite poor, and it does a lot of random reading. NTFSMounter is alright, but can cause kernel panics upon shutdown and bunch of other problems. Paragon NTFS is awesome, but it could be what's causing my freezing/beach ball problems, as I've gone through every possible troubleshooting step to narrow down the cause of my problem.

Does Paragon NTFS have any sort of problem(s) with 10.6.3?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Is this with the NTFS 7 or 8 installed and are you running Leopard or Snow Leopard(32/64bit)?

3. besweeet

besweeet Guest

The constant beach balls/freezes was with NTFS 7 on SL (x86).

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have posted in this thread rather than create a new thread as I'm having similar hanging issues, although with version 8:

I've recently been trialling Paragon NTFS for Mac 8 on Snow Leopard 10.6.4, and am also trialling VMWare Fusion 3.1. Several times the VMWare Fusion process has hung while in a VM, but I think the problem is actually caused by NTFS for Mac, because the VM is stored on an NTFS partition. After doing a hard reboot (ie. had to keep off button pressed down to turn off power), and rebooting into Snow Leopard again, I could not start the VM due to it not being able to access the disk. I rebooted into my real Windows partition, and it started doing chkdsk at boot-time, and there were lots of errors on the partition. After letting chkdsk do it's stuff, I rebooted into Snow Leopard again and had no problems booting the VM.

I have disabled the Paragon driver for the time being, and am testing it with the Tuxera driver to see if that also has the same hanging problem. If it doesn't then I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by the Paragon NTFS for Mac driver.

I would prefer to use the Paragon driver, as it's faster, but stability is more important.

I would be happy to provide any information you need and test possible fixes.

5. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

It wouldd seem my problem is probably not related to Paragon NTFS for Mac, but is caused by VMWare Fusion, as I had the same hanging problem with the Tuxera driver.

However, while there was corruption on the NTFS partition when using the Paragon driver, there was no corruption when using the Tuxera driver. So, while Paragon may be faster, it would appear it achieves some of this speed due to more extensive use of caching, which can result in corruption when power is suddenly lost. I could be wrong though as it may have been a one off, but I would like to see Paragon improve their driver further with respect to data integrity.

6. besweeet

besweeet Guest

I've had 0 problems with Paragon NTFS conflicting with VMware. I also have Parallels 5, and it works just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.