Paragon how do I carry and large FTP backup?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by zerxez, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerxez

zerxez Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a 220GB data store that is doing a differential backup on a server in a small town some distance from our main office. In order to protect the data we have decided to backup that data to our main building. I have created a secure ftp site at the main building and want to start a differential backup to the ftp site. Because the amount of data is so large it will practically shut down their internet for a week.
    What I want to do it go on-site one time, make a full backup on a drive, carry that drive back to the ftp server and copy it to the server. Then tell their server to use that as a base image to perform differential backups once a week over the weekend. Yes the data is a lot, but they don't add very much per week so it should work well once in place.

Can someone explain how I would do this?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

One way to improve upon that method is to cut back on the read-time when it's doing the differential backup comparison. So the FTP connection will only be used for transferring the data - no bandwidth lost to reading/comparison. Which means, after you completed your full backup, leave an original copy at the physical location, and also have a copy at your FTP storage location. Setup the differential backup wizard and reference it to the full backup at the same location, but save your differential backup to the FTP site.

Reading and comparison will all be done locally, and the differential will be written to the FTP.

3. zerxez

zerxez Registered Member

Wow that is great, so forgive my newbness, the steps would be?:

Create a full backup to an external drive.
    Create a full backup to a local drive in the machine.
    Create a cyclical differential backup from the archive on the local drive, but pointed to the ftp server.
    Then to test the restore, I would change the name of the base image on the ftp server to the same as that of the server and I could restore with that base image and any of the differentials?

Is it really this easy or am I missing some details?

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Correct. Except for the first two backups, you don't want to do them separately.

Create a full backup to the local hard drive.
    Drag and copy to your external hard drive. So the two full backups are identical. If you do two separate full backups, even though they're only a few hours apart, there are subtle changes and we need the two full backups to be identical.

To test the restore, on your FTP server, the differential backups are in a sub folder of the full backup. IF they are in different locations, the software will ask for the full backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.