Paragon HDM 2010 error code 0x1100a

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by mike55333, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike55333

mike55333 Registered Member

When I use the latest download Advanced Recovery WinPE I get the error message Hard Disk Manager code: 0x1100a. If I run a backup of my system partition Windows 7 64 bit using the desktop HDM 2010 I get error message Hard Disk Manager code: 0x1200e. I can consistently make good images and restores with Acronis True Image. What is the problem with Paragon? The hot swap parameter is set to Paragon Hot Swap. My pc's main drive is an OCZ Agility 2 SSD setup by Windows 7 64 bit. My system is an Intel Core 2 Quad 6600, Gigabyte P35C-DS3R MB, 8G ram, ATI Radeon x850 series Video. I've been using Acronis for quite a long time with no back/restore issue and decided to try Paragon. I didn't realize I'd have this much difficulty with this product. Should I contact tech support? Thanks for any assistance.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Error Code = 0x1100a means that Microsoft VSS service is set as default Hot Processing Option in HDM.

Acronis replace Windows VSS provider with another one, That's why HDM fails to start VSS.

First of all, run CHKDSK /f for your system partition, because error 0x1200e usually means that there are bad blocks or file system errors.
    * open Start -Run and type CMD
    right-click found cmd.exe and select Run As Administrator
    * in the Command prompt type:
    chkdsk c: /f
    press Enter
    * This operation require restart. Schedule it to run before next system start and restart your PC.

Then:
    * run HDMin full scale, go to Tools -> Settings -> Hot Processing Options. Change Microsoft VSS to Paragon Hot Processing.
    * run Backup.

Does it work?

3. mike55333

I ran checkdisk with Admin priveledges and received no errors. I then ran a backup from the Paragon desktop in full mode insuring the Paragon Hot Processing was the choice. At 99% I recieved the error indicating Hard Disk Manager code 0x1100a. Why is it that Acronis does not care about either bad blocks or file system errors? Supposedly checkdisk /f should have corrected this anyway. Is my situation an odd problem? I'd hate to have to reload my OS from scratch with all applications and updates. It's also not a case that I could just use Acronis but I'd really like to use the upgrade to different hardware feature in Paragon when I upgrade my cpu/motherboard/memory. I looked at using their Plus Pack last year but did not like all the pain to build a BartPE disk. Have you used Paragon's feature at all? Just one more question - running a system image from Paragon in a running Windows environment - is this a true total system image? I always thought you needed to boot to an imaging software's disc to perform this function. Thanks.

4. mike55333

See my posted reply, Thanks

5. mike55333

I ran a successful checkdisk using Partition Wizard to force a checkdisk on reboot. This did find and correct some errors this time. Upon running Paragon HDM WinPE recovery disk I still could not get a good image (0x1200). I ran a backup from my original HDM cd (checking that Paragon Hot Processing was default) and did make an image. So what's with the BartPE version cd? It's the latest download update version? I'd like to think I can now use my new image to upgrade motherboard, processor and memory. Thanks.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Mike,

Not sure where you got the Bartpe cd from - did you make it yourself?

Paragon products all have a Linux based cd - the paid versions have a winpe cd as well. ( except PM personal, I think )

You should be able to get a complete backup from within windows - Paragon uses either VSS , or it's own drivers to create a snaphot - then uses that snapshot to create the image.

It's possible If you had Acronis installed it may be interefering with Paragon from within windows, as Mech An said.

However, if you can see the drives from the winpe cd - then Acronis snapman driver would not seem to be getting in the way- and you should be able to make an image from there.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  7. Mech_An

Mike,

Could you please attach LOG files from WinPE CD after getting the error:
    * reproduce the error
    * close Backup Wizard
    * run Collect Logs and save archive

OR if there is no Collect LOGs option,
    * start File Transfer Wizard
    * select (X:/) Boot, open Programs -> Paragon Software -> program
    Please make sure you go exactly to X:, and not to C:
    * find log files: BioNTlog.txt, pwlog.txt, stubact.log - and transfer them to physical partition, for example to an external drive, following the steps of wizard
    * finish

Then boot to Windows and attach files to your reply.

PS: It appears that there is a partition on your HDD which can't be backed up for some reason.

8. mike55333

Mechanical Animal - I have attached the three log files per your last post. HDM seems to be having an issue with the Windows7 partition on my SSD. Strange thing is my system is running top notch, ran another checkdisk /f before running HDM. Perhaps the answer is to wipe clean my SSD from another PC running Windows7, secure erase and start over with the drive. If I go that route I might as well update my MB processor and memory now instead of later. I'd like to wait for Sandy Bridge and hoped that P2P to different hardware would save me a lot of work. Question? Does the P2P work with 64 bit Windows? Thanks

Attached Files:

9. Mech_An

Mike,

According to LOG files, source HDD has 2 partitions: System Reserved (NTFS) and Unformatted System Partition.

Do the following to fix Invalid partition:
    * Right-click on 'My computer' and choose 'Manage';
    * Select 'Disk Management' in 'Storage';
    * Right-click your System partition (next to the C:\ System Reserved) partition and select 'Shrink Volume'
    * Shrink it by 10-20MB and apply changes.

As of VSS error: do you have Acronis installed now? If yes, it could be the reason of failed VSS backup. Acronis replace native VSS service by their own service so other applications which require VSS fail to operate correctly.

10. mike55333

I ran Acronis' current uninstall cleanup utility to remove their software. After a restart I noticed that VSS service was started. I could not do the Shrink Volume on the system partition. I received message "Virtual Disk Manager - the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. I did run HDM from the desktop. For the drive/partition choice to backup my ssd system partition showed up at recognized showing the name I had assigned to it. Being a 120G SSD (OCZ Agility 2) the backup showed I had 111.7G to backup? On the disk properties the system partition shows used space 60G free space 51G. The backup ran to 111.7G reaching 100% and showed successful completion. When I exited out of that I received the Ox1200e error message. I assume the backup created is not any good? Thanks for your help. Attached are the three updated log files you previously requested.

Attached Files:

11. Mech_An

First of all, check the Virtual Disk service
    1. Click "Start", type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.
    2. Right click the "Virtual Disk" service and choose Properties.
    3. On General tab click Start.
    4. Choose Automatic next to Startup type.
    5. Click OK.

Repeat the steps for Disk Defragmenter Service. It should be also enabled and running.

Then check if you can shrink the system partition for 10-20MB from the Windows Disk Management.

To get healthy backup, your source hard drive and partitions should be error-free. According to LOG files, system partition is still unformatted.

The reason is that your system partition is still Unformatted. Unformatted partitions are backed up in RAW mode which means that backup will contain not only used sectors but free sectors also.

Yes, the error means that backup was not completed successfully.

12. mike55333

Issue with bad sector resolved. Use Parted Magic Secure Erase to do a total refresh of my Agility 2 SSD. Did an image restore. Now I make backups with no errors. This thread can be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.