Paragon HDM 2008 Suite Scheduling

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by thefrasers, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thefrasers

thefrasers Registered Member

(This seems very simple, but I have searched the forums and got nowhere, though this may be a function of poor searching criteria.)

I have a version of the HDM 2008 suite. I recently switched it to a new computer and decided to schedule some backups; however, I changed my mind about the scheduling and wanted to change it - but I can't see any 'edit' type feature for the scheduling. I read a post on the old forums which mentioned 'right clicking on the script'; what script would this be? I would also ideally like to overwrite the oldest of three backups, since I only have limited space on my removable backup drive.

I recognize that this is now an 'old' version; but can anyone help me? Note that I am a relatively unsophisticated computer users; I simply use the software to back up my hard drive; I have no interest (or knowledge) of what appear to a computer novice like me to be 'advanced' concepts such as disk partitioning (stop giggling back there...).

Ubu

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Editing the script is not recommended if you're not too familiar with the codes. I would just recommend deleting that schedule task, and setup a new one. The type of backup you want do is called cyclic backup. If you're backing up multiple partitions at once, you'll have to setup 3 individual schedule task, each overwriting itself.

3. thefrasers

I can't see the schedule written down anywhere so that I can delete it! in the end I just went to Windows Scheduler and got rid of the task there. I've heard of cyclic backup before, but I don't think I have the right version (I have 2008 version and it doesn't say anything about being personal or professional), because it doesn't seem to register when I search to help function.

:blink:

4. Paragon_Tommy

The 2008 suite version is the equivalent of a Personal Edition.Unfortunately, the Cyclic Backup is not available in your edition. To still accomplish what you want to do, setup 3 separate backups to run independently on different days. Uncheck "Generate unique names" and each backup will over-write itself.

Your setup might look something like this:

Monday at 2AM: mondaybackup.pbf
    Wednesday at 2AM: wednesdaybackup.pbf
    Friday at 2AM: fridaybackup.pbf

So at all time, you have at least 2 good sets of backup. Each backup will run on a weekly basis on different days, overwriting itself.

I hope all that made sense. :D

5. thefrasers

Excellent idea! However, where (if anywhere) can I see and edit the schedules?

6. Paragon_Tommy

in "Scheduled Tasks" tab, right click the job, and properties.

7. thefrasers

This is going to sound dumb. Where is the scheduled task tab?All I get is the backup wizard...

8. Paragon_Tommy

You might be looking at the small scale launcher. Select "Advanced Options" and "Hard Disk Manager 2008" then you should see "Scheduled Task.

9. thefrasers

This may be a little bizarre; when I launch HDM 2008, I get a menu with five choices; a Product System and Data, Maintenance, Rescue and Recovery, Securely Dispose of Hard Disk, Advanced Options. In Advanced Options, there are only three choices; Partitioning, Manage Backup Capsule, and Boot Manager. There is no Hard Disk Manager 2008, or subsequent Scheduled Task.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44576049@N06/4095260662/

Do I have the wrong version?

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I think you will find it under the top one - "Partitioning and Hard Disk Management".

Hope it helps.

11. thefrasers

12. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I will try and dig out an old program and see if I can find it.

EDIT : Sorry, I don't have anything from the 2008 series.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  13. Paragon_Tommy

From the screenshot, it looks like the full scale launcher for HDM 2008 only has partitioning operations and the only way to do backup is from the wizard.

Regardless, to edit scripts, use a notepad to modify any script files (psl) in the directory: C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 2008 Suite\Scripts

To edit schedules, Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.