Paragon Hard Disk Manager problems

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by djg05, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have Paragon HDM SE version and have been using it to redistribute some space on my new disk. Basically moving the partitios to create more space on C:. However although it gave every impression of performing the task it ended up by trashing the disk and making it impossible to restore an image to it. Because it held a lot of data I stopped using it and reverted to my old HD. There again it manage to corrupt the disk giving a lot of NTLDR errors and has taken a lot of sorting out.

Having eventually got a fresh install of windows working ATI for the first time let me down on my data image.

I then set about recovering the data from the new drive I had been using. Paragon has a facitity for recovering the partition info. I set this in motion and it was listing out the partitions but at the end it got into a loop checking the same sector and the progress bar zeroing itself continually. It was possible to stop it at that stage and select the partition I wanted. It then gave a message that it was not possible.

I also d/l the later 8.5 trial and the same scenario.

So if anyone is relying on Paragon treat it with caution. I see in their forums there are similar stories but I don't see any response from Paragon.

If anyone finds themselves in a similar postion then I discovered that File Scavenger seems to do a good job at a reasonable price. Tried just about all of them and this seemed the most promising.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm a regular user of PARAGON especially HDM, but i have to say this, newer IMO doesn't always equate to being better by a long stretch depending on releases.

I found using the CD of Drive BackUp Pro i can pretty much perform the same partition manipulations that i always done with HDM6, an older version but in retrospect, AFAIK, the older version 6 of HDM is in my opinion more feature-rich and is infinitely more reliable. So much that just yesterday i re-burned it to a fresh CD and labeled it as my first go to partitioning app as opposed to Drive BackUps CD. I just find it works without error and does whats expected of it.

I just re-sized a hard drive with it, set my capacity, and it done the rest perfectly as always. This is with HDM 6 that i bought long time ago. I use it to set active/inactive flags when i want to install XP to another new partition. That way setting the MAIN partition to INACTIVE & the newly installed to ACTIVE then shows BOTH partitions when installing w/ XP CD disc.

The latest or newest Paragon Hard Drive Manager i think i have laying around someplace, but i know without a doubt that the old HDM 6 works each & everytime so i tend to stick with whats always proven reliable in those tasks.

I also have run into that occasional glitch of the drive letters problem though but manage to remedy that with Third Party tools if needed.

3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I've bestowed the nick of 'De-Frigger' on their Defragger.

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Interesting. Probably explains why I had heard good reports of it. Will have to keep a look out for v6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.