Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2008 Suite - Operation Interrupted Issue

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by chazvirtual, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chazvirtual

chazvirtual Registered Member

I used this software in an attempt to extend a partition. A few hours into the operation I received an "Operation Interrupted" message, and the system requested that I use the recovery cd. I booted the system using this cd. The software indicated that something was in an incomplete state, and before I had a chance to read the message, it finished the operation, and left me in the recovery console.

Nothing out of the ordinary was reported on the console, and from the partition information presented it appears that the additional disk space I requested when initiating the original request now exists in a seperate partition.

When I exit out of the recovery console and attempt to boot the machine without the recovery boot cd, the "Operation Interrupted" message re-appears on the screen, so effectively I cannot use my PC.

Can someone who has experience with this software please provide me with some guidance. Much appreciated.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Chazvirtual,

You said that after the operation was completed, a new partition was created in between the two previous partition. If you can double check, do you really mean the free space that was created? It should either say "Free" or "Unallocated" else it's actually a partition that was created (NTFS, FAT32, etc).

Before we even deal with the free space or partition that was created, I would try to make sure that your system boots up again. Boot to the recovery CD, right-click your C drive, make sure all flags are correct (active and unhidden). Update the MBR by right-clicking "Basic Hard Disk" or go under "Hard Disk". Reboot the system and see if Window boot up. If it did not work, go back into the recovery CD, use the File Transfer Wizard and take a peak into the C drive to see if the files are still in tact. Restart the computer using a Windows XP, Vista, 7 installation CD and proceed with their automated repair.

Once you get your system to be up and running, check that the partition you downsized is correct and functional, then either delete the middle extraneous partition, and extend the C drive; neither of which should require a restart.

Good luck.

3. chazvirtual

Hello Tommy,

Thank you very much for your response.

I started from the recovery cd again and would like to provide more information about what is reported there prior to making any changes.

The machine in question is an Acer laptop. It has one HDD, which was divided up into 3 partitions prior to my using the Hard Disk Manager.

The main console window contains the following information.

Basic Disk 0 (Size 93.2 Gb)
    N Vol Type File Sys Size Used Free Volume Label Active Hidden
    0 *: Primary Other 3.9Gb PQService No Yes
    1 *: Primary FAT32 44.4Gb 44.2Gb 212Mb ACER Yes No
    2 *: Primary Free 8.9Gb No No
    3 *: Primary FAT32 36.0Gb 27.0Gb 9.0Gb ACERDATA No No

When I used the Hard Disk Manager I basically chose to take half the free space that was available on the D drive (ACERDATA), and re-allocate that to the C drive (ACER). I trust that is why what I referred to as a seperate partition (Free 8.9Gb) now exists.

Please note that I have not taken any further action yet as I thought it good to first present you with the correct information. I hope this is in order.

Thanks again, Chaz

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello chazvirtual,

If the resize did go well and at least unallocated the space you wanted to move over, we should try to confirm that the Original C drive and the new D drive are in tact. Simply use the File Transfer Wizard or right-click the partition and Browse to check its data.

Before we even want to allocate the freed space to C drive, I would try to make Windows bootable again. If it is still not booting, go under "Hard Disk" and update MBR. Only when you get back into Windows, should extend the C drive across the unallocated space, which takes a few seconds and require no restart.

If the update MBR did not work, back out to the main menu in the recovery disk, run all the available "Boot Corrector" features to make sure the following are true:

1. The Operating System partition is flagged active and unhidden.
    2. "B+S" telling you that it's bootable and a system
    3. Update the partition table

An alternative which may be easiest to repair Windows is to run the Windows 7 installation CD. Use the automatic repair function.

Finally, only once when you are back into Windows, launch Paragon HDM, right-click the C drive, move/resize, and extend the partition ONTO the unallocated space. That final task will not require a restart.

5. chazvirtual

Hello Tommy,

Thank you for your response.

I followed your instructions regarding the Browse to check data. The file system initially appeared as I am used to seeing it.

I then selected "Update MBR" under the "Hard Disk" menu, and this action appeared to complete without reporting any errors.

I then exited out of the recovery application, removed the recovery cd, and attempted to boot the system.

It then presented me with the following (white text on a black screen). (Please note that I have Windows XP installed on the laptop, and not Windows 7.)

------
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    ------

I then booted again using the recovery cd, and browsed into some of the folders, including ..\system32, and here things do not look normal at all, i.e. the files and folders have unreadable names.

I trust this is not good? What now?

Thanks, Chaz

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.