Paragon Drive Questions

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Escalader, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I use

Drive Backup™, version 9.0, build 5541 (07.06.08 )Personal.

(1) What are the syntax rules for passwords on the created archives?

Using the advanced settings when backing up a partition the user is offered a password option to protect the archive. I did this okay on the creation of the archive but now the password I created appears too long for the allowed field when I tried to recover using the archive. There is no help I can see with the product documentation

(2) Can the bootable recovery dvd from Paragon Manger 9.0 Personal be used to recover images created with Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Personal?

Please no assumptions or guessing, I need to know. :doubt:

2. Escalader

(1) On the archive password I find by testing that a simple 8 character A/N password does WORK. My initial lack of success may have been due to the fact that I generated a random complex psw of mixed numbers, alphas, special characters upper and lower case AND then I copied and pasted this psw into Paragon when I created the archive. My theory is that this copy paste fails in Paragon since when I keyed in the short simple password that worked fine.

Thing is Paragon shouldn't have accepted the copy/paste as valid for creation but invalid for recovery.

(2) On the use of the Paragon Bootable dvd/cd from Paragon Manager, it did work with archives created with Drive Backup. This is good news for me anyway.

I still want to know the maximum length for passwords and the sntax rules for characters allowed.

3. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Really good support from Paragon. :thumbd:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's give them time to answer.

5. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Hi Ron,

I meant no disregard with my post(s), but i wanted to make Paragon support to take their job here more seriously. I think of that as "constructive criticism".
    You can probably understand what that means .
    I see that Paragon guys tend to be missing for few days (2-4) and the appear again. And this repeats.

Also my point was that Paragon support should look at first posts also that are in the forum and try to give answers.
    Now if numerous people post, and the this happen again, only second group of people who had posted have got their replies.
    First group of people are neglected.

Just my .02 cents.

It's up to Paragon what should they do.

6. Caos

Caos Registered Member

7. Escalader

Yes, I have posed the question at the Paragon Support site they show the status as "working". This I take to mean they are looking into this one but nothing to report as yet.

As soon as I have more information I will share it with the thread.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  8. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Escalader,

Passwords are limited up to 13 characters, including alphanumeric and special characters.

I would not recommend copying and pasting passwords since in some cases an unwanted character is added from where it was pasted from.

9. Escalader

Thanks. Let's hope 13 is a lucky number:thumb:

10. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I wished to know that also.

11. Escalader

You are welcome. IMHO the Paragon Drive cd/dvd I have looks a bit more functionally advanced than the Paragon Manger one but both work on the same archives. There is an upgrade for PM from my version but I haven't bothered with it.

12. Paragon_Tommy

Although Partition Manager's main focus is to manage partitions, it incorporates simple backup and restore features for users who lack a backup solution in case something goes wrong. With that said, the archives created in Drive Backup Persona, Professional, Server can be restored with Partition Manager but limited to complete archives, not differential or incremental.

Tommy

13. Escalader

Hello Thread:

FYI, I just restored my whole E (data) partition using Paragon Drive backup recovery 9.0 in about 4 minutes.

The archive was protected by the 13 character password (a mix of special characters, numbers and alpha). In this case I was able to copy and paste the password in from RoboForm without using my keyboard. This restore doesn't need the bootable because I'm not restoring the os partition

Paragon is not one of the applications protected by KeyScrambler so copy/paste is a bit safer for these passwords.

Do you guys want me to post these things I do or is it all old hat and not required?:doubt:

14. Paragon_Tommy

Hello Escalader,

Thank you for your findings. I'm sure other users on this forum will find it beneficial. I'm glad your restore and encryption were also successful.

-Tommy

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  15. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

4 minutes? How did you manage that - and how much data was involved?

16. Escalader

My E Partition only has user data in it like word,excel,adobe files. It is using 2.6 GB in a 31.3GB Partition NTFS format.

I have 2 other partitions which are not frequently altered one for Photos and Music and one for Games. These are imaged but not very often.

My other partition is C of course and that is where the o/s and all my executables live.

So the answer to imaging speed for me anyway is partitioning my data by type and frequency of change

17. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Oh ok , if you only had 2.6gb used space to restore - I see why it was so fast.

Thanks for the response.

18. Escalader

Glad to help:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.