Paragon Drive Backup Professional: Backup Capsule

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by flinchlock, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 Professional Edition
    • Boot the computer directly from Backup Capsule (no Recovery media is required) and perform any Restore operations in case of the operating system corruption or other boot problems.
    • Backup Capsule to keep backup images in safe protected space on hard drive.
    • Save backup image to Backup Capsule
    • Create/Resize/Delete/Clean up the Backup Capsule
    • Bootable Backup Capsule (starts up the computer into recovery environment directly from Backup Capsule and performs any Restore operations in case of the operating system corruption or boot problems.)
    • Manage Backup Capsule of remote machine
    • Restore of remote machine from Backup Capsule
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I haven't had time to examine this feature yet but i assume it stores a portion to the MBR like a boot menu to reach it. Makes you wonder why after all these years of agony, these Imaging groups are only now realizing the usefulness of implimenting such an exit strategy in event of some problem.

Have you actively tested this Capsule reserved space for archive and restored from it?

Thnx. (Still copying FD-ISR archives to media)(Am wild about FD-ISR) It's so incredibly flexible and best of all for me, as stable as a rock!

3. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I think it may be similar to ATI in that it resides on the system disk. From browsing the ATI Forum it does not seem to be recommended, and it would worry me that it DOES NOT cover you if the disk should fail.
    I personally love the idea of not needing a recovery cd, but it will always be needed all the time these hidden partitions are on the system disk.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This Backup Capsule would steal the free space of my harddisk. Not good and in case of a crash even worthless. So I stick to my Recover CD and external harddisk.
    That's the second useless button in Paragon, the first useless button was for creating a not working Linux CD.
    For the fun I did a backup of my data partition with this Linux CD to my system partition. I had to cancel it because it was way tooo slooow.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  5. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I like the idea of a backup capsule.But. Does it have a pre-boot screen like first defense (F1) or ATI (F11) ? If it does I have the feeling it will interefere with first defense preboot ?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i breifly tested that feature.
    when you start the pc it has a little window that shows for 5secs saying press f1 for backup console.
    it restore the image fine.
    but its better to store images on a second internal harddrive.
    or even better a external drive.
    lodore

7. flinchlock

So, do you think this feature is worthless?

My dad talked about "belt and suspenders"... you have two ways to protect from having your pants fall down. :D

Any benefit at all, maybe for some types of people... newbie (my grandmother)?

Would it be almost like a to a frozen snapshot in FD-ISR?

Mike

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wouldnt say its useless.
    it has some uses.
    you create the backup capsule choose the size of it.
    and choose weither its bootable or not.
    then when you backup you store the image in the backup capsule.
    if windows wont boot you press e.g f1 when the message appears for backup capsule and restore the image.
    its only useless if the drive fails.
    lodore

9. flinchlock

@lodore, Would it be almost like a to a frozen snapshot in FD-ISR?

Mike

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

knida like that.
    but of course the image takes alot longer to make.
    lodore

11. flinchlock

Sorry, but I am having trouble asking my question.

make? I am trying to ask about restore.

What I am trying to ask, is it like PowerShadow? Can I make a backup of my system into the backup Capsule, and have the system boot restore that backup each time? If my kids change stuff, or download stuff, will the boot from the Capsule put the system back to the exactly the same as the backup stored in the Capsule?

Mike

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

oh i see what you mean now.
    i dont know if that is possible.
    i could have a try later.
    lodore

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Personally, I think this feature is worse then useless. The whole point of an image is to protect you if either the system gets hosed or the disk fails.

For the average user, who doesn't torture their machine, like wilders folks do, I suspect that disk failuire is the more probable issue. These on disk solutions give folks the illusion they are protected, but when the disk goes thats all it was is an illusion. My 2cents.

Pete

14. flinchlock

I donate 2cents, so we are now at 4cents. :D

Mike

15. ErikAlbert

I fully agree with you, but nobody listens to Belgium, because we didn't land on the moon. ;)

16. ErikAlbert

My experience with restoring images until now is that it's ALWAYS slower than a copy/update from archive to snapshot, even when the image is on an internal harddisk. FDISR beats them all in seconds or minuts.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

You can say that again. I'm almost of a mind to believe FD-ISR is every bit as reliable and even more so than the best image apps, if not for the fact that any software program can eventually break or maybe even deteriorate over time, but then so can images and the apps that create them in the first place.

I gotten a lot more fun outta this imaging/restore trend we're in then chasing ghosts (malware). It's the ultimate, if anything ruins it, just simply restore it again as before.

18. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

But you folks do make the very best waffles! :p

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Well, you still have the CD. So you use it if you want. If it's fast enough, how redundant is rollback software? You don't need to use the CD to recover from software corruption.

It all comes down to how fast is it, or faster/slower, and if it works.
    No?

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

True, but a lot of folks buy the software and assume that since that option is provide it must be safe, and all that is needed. Very wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.