Paragon Drive Backup, huge differential

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by marty3d, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marty3d

marty3d Registered Member

Hi!
    I'm trying out Paragon Drive Backup Personal 9.0 Trial. I did a full backup of my laptop (170gb used disk space) to a shared folder on my network last night. Now I'm doing a differential just to see how "fast" it goes. But I'm getting a bit sceptical... It's been running for an hour, 2 hours left (the computer is connected through ethernet) and DBP wants to create an extimate of 73gb! Is this really right? I mean, I just opened Firefox, restarted the backup program, and chose differential in the Archive tab.

What's going on here?

Thanks!

EDIT: I should of course tell you, both computers are Vista SP1.

2. marty3d

Ok. I just came home and looked at the result.

125 mb was finally created in the shared folder at 11 am. That's four (4) hours later!

Does anyone have an explanation?

3. appster

appster Registered Member

Marty,

While I'm not a Paragon Drive Backup user, I have seen similar issues with Acronis True Image, especially on Vista. The culprit may very well be Vista's automatic degragger. Disk-defragging will often move unchanged files to different sectors and that represents a change to most (if not all) disk-imaging programs!

By default, the disk defrag feature in Vista runs about every other time you restart your computer. So if you haven't yet turned off that feature, I suggest you do so to see if that's indeed the cause of your large (and very long) differential backup.

You can turn off Vista's automatic defragging as follows:

Double click on the desktop Computer icon, right click on your C: drive and choose Properties. Next, click the Tools tab and select the option that says “Defragment Now”. Lastly, uncheck the box that says “Run on a schedule.”

If that wasn't the reason, it may be resulting from changes to the System Volume Information folder. You could test for this possibility by excluding that system folder from your backup (assuming Paragon offers that option).

Hth...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. marty3d

I don't think disk defragger had a chance to kick in, it got 10 minutes between full and differential backup.

Another question though; I can't access the logs. Is that a confirmed bug or? I just get an error message (can't remember it right now, though).

5. guest

guest Guest

i with you marty3d, i have same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.