Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional ?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by JosephB, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Hi,

I am considering purchasing "Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional". I browsed the PDF User Manual from the Paragon Web site. I am a New to using Backup Image and Recovery software and I still have some basic Newbie Questions.

Newbie Questions, Regarding - "Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional":

1. Can you Create a "Backup Capsule" without a "Bootable" Option, so as Not to overwrite the MBR ??
    ....... How ?

(Note: I do Not want to overwrite the MBR, so as not to effect another 3rd party boot manager which has already modified the mbr on my pc's hard drive)

2. As a Newbie, don't want to make any wrong assumptions:

Question:
    .... So basic question is can you Restore both the Windows XP Operating System including the Entire contents of the Hard Drive, on a PC that has just one partition the C: drive, when your currently in Windows XP (have Windows XP - Booted Up at the desktop), by just going to the Paragon Drive Backup Pgm Application in the Start Menu and choosing a Restore Option ??

---- OR ----

Must you use a Paragon Rescue Disk to Boot the PC and then perform the Restore (of the Windows XP Operating System, including the Entire contents of the Hard Drive) from the Paragon Rescue Disk ?

3. If one can Restore Windows operating system (and entire hard drive contents) from a prior image, while your actually in Windows
    .... Technically, How does this work, since your actively using Windows XP ??
    ....Does Paragon somehow reboot windows and is able to somehow Restore Windows operating system from a backup image before allowing window xp to startup from the request to reboot back up.

4. If you Restore Windows, from a Backup Image stored on the "Local Hard Drive" (On a PC with just one partition the C: drive), can the Backup Image be located in a folder on the C: drive ?
    --- OR ---
    must the Backup Image be located on the "Backup Capsule" ?

...Thanks in advance, as the answers to these basic questions will educate me and bring me up to speed, in making a informed decision.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

There is an option "do not allow start sytem recovery from backup capsule".

You may as well just make a separate partition to store the backups on.

You can start the restore from Paragon while booted into Windows - it will flip itself into "boot time mode" as you suspected and perform the operation from there.

You can store the backup image anywhere you like.

3. JosephB

Hi SIW2,

....Thanks for the answers!

....Just, one last question on this topic, if you can confirm fo me whether or not I am correct about below Restore Usage, I would appreciate it:

Question:

I. If Windows gets screwed and refuses to boot, then:

1. I would proceed to Boot up with the Paragon Rescue CD (prepared ahead of time) and then I assume that can Restore from a previously created Backup Image, stored on any of the below locations:

A) Backup Image stored to a Folder on the C: ("system drive")
    .........Fyi, since pc only has one hard drive letter partition.

B) Backup Image stored to the "Backup Capsule" (Hidden partition on the drive).

C) Backup Image stored on an external usb hard drive.

II. However, if hard drive has a hardware problem, then:

2. I would proceed to Boot up with the Paragon Rescue CD and then:

A) Restore from a previously created Backup Image, stored on the External USB hard drive.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, that's right,except

Not sure why you don't make another partition and put the image on there.

Should be easy if you're using Vista/7.

Go into Disk Management , rt click C and select Shrink. It will tell you how much is available to shrink , without getting into complex data movement.

If it's enough , go ahead and shrink it.

Then rt click the new Unallocated space and select new simple volume, quick format to ntfs and accept the drive letter it offers.

All that is very quick and easy.

The image will be about 60% of the size of the used space you have on C, perhaps a little more - so the partition needs to be big enough for that , plus some extra breathing room. ( 10 gb spare as a minimum)

It is also easier to manage the Drive if you don't have everything mixed into one partition like a dog's dinner.

NB , you could use Paragon to do the partitioning, if you have a product with the Move /Resize function ( it's on the pm 2010 Free edition ). Paragon will allow more shrink then Windows Disk Management,- but that will take longer as data will need to be moved.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Hi Joseph,

Option A will not work. You cannot restore an image of a partition if it is located on the same partition. If you want to restore your C drive/partition, you have to save the image file to a different partition/drive.

You may temporarily save the image file to the same partition but can not restore from it. Also, if you are saving image file to the same partition, differential backup will not work, you can save full images only.

This is not an issue with Paragon only, it is a limitation of all imaging software.

6. JosephB

Hi Raza0007,

1. I did not realize about above. Thanks for the explanation.

2. Also, Question: I understand that using Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professioonal that:

One can Restore the System Partition (C: drive, on a pc that only has 1 partition i.e. the system partition),
    from a prior image, while your actually in Windows, by just going to the Paragon Drive Backup Pgm Application in the Start Menu and choosing the Restore Option and then Paragon will use a "special boot time mode".

Question:
    .... Technically, How does this work ?
    .... How can Paragon, Restore Active Windows operating system partition, from a backup image, before allowing windows xp to reload and startup again from request to reboot windows ?
    ..... Will it somehow access its pgm from the c: drive, before windows starts reloading itself (suprised windows security would support something like this) or perhaps it will prompt you to insert the paragon rescue disk >

7. Raza0007

Yes, you can restore your computer if you have only one partition on your hard disk, but your image file has to be on an external drive in this case. So, the steps would be:

Inside windows you connect your external drive to your PC. You run Paragon and then start the restore wizard. It will guide you through steps, asking you where your image file is and where you want to restore the image to. The you click execute, and it will inform you that your system drive can not be restored online and the process will complete on reboot. You click yes, and your computer reboots. Windows will start to load and during this time Paragon loads a special driver that interrupts your normal windows start and loads Paragon into RAM instead. It will then perform the restore operation based on the instructions you provided in the restore wizard. After restore is complete, your computer reboots again and then you boot into the restored OS.

With Paragon, you only need the rescue CD if you can not boot into your OS at all, and you need to run the restore wizard through the rescue CD.

I hope it is clear.

8. JosephB

Hi Raza0007,

Just to ensure, as a Newbie, that I fully understand everything that you stated previously in this thread, regarding the Paragon Drive Backup Pro, "Restore Image" - Procedures", can you please confirm that my below revised Items I., II. and III are correct ?
    ..... I would greatly appreciate it.

Restore From Image - Procedures:

I. If Windows, Can Boot, (But you wish to Rollback Windows to a Prior Backup Image State), then:

1. A) From the Windows Start Menu, Launch Paragon Drive Backup Pro and choose the Restore Option

-- Or --

B) Boot From the Paragon - Rescue CD (choose Restore wizard option)

2. Then, I assume that I can "Restore the System Partition" (C: Drive), from a Backup Image, stored on any of the below locations:

A) Backup Image stored to the "Backup Capsule" (Hidden partition on the drive).
    B) Backup Image stored on a Non-System/Data Partiton on the local hard drive.
    C) Backup Image stored on an External Hard Drive.

II. If Windows, Refuses to Boot, then:

1. I would proceed to Boot up with the Paragon - Rescue CD (choose Restore wizard option).

2. Then I assume that I can "Restore the System Partition (C: Drive)", from a Backup Image, stored on any of the below locations:

III. However, if Hard Drive has a Hardware Problem, then:

1. I would proceed to Boot up with the Paragon Rescue CD and then:

A) Restore from an "Entire Disk - Backup Image", (all partitions- system and data partitions) stored on the External Hard Drive.

P.S. When placing a Backup Image on the Local Hard Disk:

....Is it better to save the Backup Images to the "Backup Capsule" (Hidden Partiton) o_O
    --OR--
    ....Is it better to Create a Data Partition on the Local Hard Disk and save the Backup Images to this data partiton o_O

----> Which is better and why ?

9. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

For the last question:

It is better to keep your images in a hidden partition because it is less prone to corruption due to software problems. However, it is still prone to corruption due to physical problems of the hard disk so it is better to store your images in another, less used HD.

P.S. I know that the question above is not for me but i just wanna help.

10. JosephB

biscuits, .... Thanks.

Hi Raza0007,

Took me awhile to get back to this thread (had to remove a rogue and had internet connectivity issues for awhile).

I think I have the understanding now, but if you could double check what I listed below, that will firm up that I understand the concepts correctly.

When you have a chance, please review that my below revised Items I., II. and III are correct ?
    ..... I would greatly appreciate it.

Restore From Image - Procedures:

I. If Windows, Can Boot, (But you wish to Rollback Windows to a Prior Backup Image State), then:

1. A) From the Windows Start Menu, Launch Paragon Drive Backup Pro and choose the Restore Option

-- Or --

B) Boot From the Paragon - Rescue CD (choose Restore wizard option)

2. Then, I assume that I can "Restore the System Partition" (C: Drive), from a Backup Image, stored on any of the below locations:

II. If Windows, Refuses to Boot, then:

1. I would proceed to Boot up with the Paragon - Rescue CD (choose Restore wizard option).

2. Then I assume that I can "Restore the System Partition (C: Drive)", from a Backup Image, stored on any of the below locations:

III. However, if Hard Drive has a Hardware Problem, then:

1. I would proceed to Boot up with the Paragon Rescue CD and then:

A) Restore from an "Entire Disk - Backup Image", (all partitions- system and data partitions) stored on the External Hard Drive.

11. Raza0007

Hi JosephB,

I just saw your post right now for the first time. Yes, your explanation in I, II, and III is correct. Backup and restore will work fine.

Also, as biscuits pointed out, using a backup capsule is helpful as the capsule is hidden from your OS, so you can not accidentally delete your backup archives, everyday malwares also can not access the hidden capsule. The disadvantage is that once you allocate a space for a backup capsule you can not use that space for anything else. That part of your hard drive is lost to you. For this reason I do not use a backup capsule. I just use another partition on my hard disk and I can use the free space left on that partition in case of emergencies.

12. JosephB

Raza0007,
    ... So, by "disadvantage" that you stated above for using a Backup Capsule, does this imply that the below is not possibile ?

Question:
    So, after a Backup Capsule is created (with the space size you initially choose to allocate to it):

Is there an "Option" in Paragon Drive Backup, which at a latter date in time, will allow you the choice to eiither "shrink" or "expand" the Backup Capsule space allocation size, without destroying the existing backup images stored in the backup capsule, in case you undersized or oversized the amount of space that you Allocated for the Backup Capsule when you initially created it ?

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, there is.

14. Raza0007

A Backup capsule is just a partition, so you can increase and decrease its allocated space anytime, but it is a hidden partition and will not show up in "My Computer", so you can not use the backup capsule for casual file storage while in windows. Also, if you decide to go with a backup capsule and you want to increase or decrease its allocated space in the future, I recommend you choose to have the backup capsule as the last partition on your hard drive.

15. JosephB

Raza0007,

... So, the last remaining questions I have, before trying out/purchasing - "Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional" are:

Browsing the pdf manual from the Paragon web site, I have read that Paragon has 2 different types of Recovery CD's that can be created, either a "Linux/DOS" Recovery CD -- OR -- a "WinPE" Recovery CD.

Questions:

1. Which is the best Recovery CD type to create and rely on for Restoring a Backup Image of the "System Partition" and Restoring a Backup Image of the "Entire Hard Drive", when Restoring from an Image stored on an External - USB Hard Drive:

Linux/DOS - Recovery CD ??

-- OR --

WinPE - Recovery CD ??

2. What are Advantages/Disadvantages of each Recovery Type of Environment (Linux/Dos vs. WinPE) ?

3. Do both Recovery Environments support, equally well: External USB Hard Drives ?

4. If you Restore from within Windows, which Recovery Environment does Paragon use with its "special boot-up" mode ? ..... Linux/Dos or WinPE ?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  16. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

1. Linux/DOS and WinPE are similar set of tools running off different platforms. Both support USB/External HD devices and able to restore system partitions and entire hard drives.

2. The one advantage of the WinPE CD is its ability to support virtually any hardware by supplying the drivers. Virtualization features are also only available in the WinPE CD. If you plan to deal with hardware that's difficult, the WinPE will provide more flexibility.

3. Yes both support USB External HD's

4. WinPE.

17. JosephB

Paragon_Tommy,

1. For my Internal - SATA Hard Drive, my pc uses the following SATA Driver:

--- Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager:

Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Storage Controller - 2850)

2. My External USB Drive is: a Drobo Drive

Question:

Do you know whether both WinPE and Linux/Dos - Recovery envirnments will work with my PC Setup, without adding any extra hard drive - drivers to the Win PE and Linux/Dos - Recovery CD's ?

18. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Neither should have a problem since they're both standard SATA/USB drives and ports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.