paragon drive back-up 9SE

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by cet, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I made an image of my PC with Paragon hard disk manager 9.5 and put it on an external hard disk.
    I wanted to try the image restoration and restored it on my virtual machine XP Pro(installed paragon drive back-up 9 SE on my virtual machine).The restore process successfully ended but I can not reboot my virtual machine any more.Does this mean that the image will not work on my actual PC or is it because it is a Vmware virtual machine? Is there a way to test that image without restoring it on my PC?

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

If you have the option checked to verify the integrity of the image upon restore it should be ok.The only way I can think to be totally sure the image is good,without overwriting your system would be to restore the image to another hard drive.While it's possible your image is corrupted I've yet to experience a single such event over many uses.

3. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi Cet,

The problem you have encountered is likely due to the differences between the hardware in the physical machine, and the virtual hardware for the VM you restored into.

Paragon has an Adaptive Restore utility that allows you to accomplish this type of restore, called P2V (Physical to Virtual). You can check it out for free currently using the link below.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/business/db-server-adaptive-restore/index.html

You can install it on your physical machine and use the P2V Copy Wizard to create a boot ready (drivers already adjusted) VMDK or VHD file. You'll see options for which type of VM application you're using. Once you have the VM disk file, simply add it into your virtual system configuration and boot up to Windows; no restore required!

If your goal was simply to confirm if the archive is good or not, andyman35 offered a good suggestion. Restoring to a spare hard disk and testing for boot is the best way to fully test an archive. However, I will typically just mount the backup, or enter the archive to view the contents. Nearly all damaged archives will have problems doing this. If you can mount it, it's pretty much a good backup.

There are 3 ways to view & extract content from a backup:

Mount Archive (my preference):
    Open the ‘Archives’ tab next to Disk View and Scheduled Tasks.
    Change the drop-down in the middle to ‘Show Partitions’.
    On the bottom half, locate the backup you wish to mount.
    If the backup is not on the list (usually because it wasn’t backed up at this system) click the green + to browse and add the file.
    Right click and choose ‘Mount the selected archive’.
    Choose a drive letter.
    Open My Computer – Your backup is now accessible as if it were a read-only hard drive.
    This option is only supported from inside Windows.
    This option is not available for 64-bit installations at this time.

File Transfer Wizard:
    Click Tools, File Transfer Wizard.
    Click Next, Browse to your backup file on the right.
    Double click the .PBF (if you backed up a partition by itself), or the .000 file that corresponds to the partition you wish to enter (if you backed up the entire disk at once). The name will be similar to My_Backup0000p.000 for the first (0) partition, then My_Backup0001p.000 for the second (1) partition, and My_Backup0002p.000 for the third (2) partition.
    After you double click, wait a moment. It could take up to 2 minutes for a backup over 100GB before you will see the + icon expand beneath the file. Usually it takes about 2 seconds.
    Expand the + to see the contents inside the backup.
    Highlight what you need and click the left arrow in the middle to place the item(s) on the clipboard.
    Click next to select a destination to restore to.
    This feature is available from both Windows and Recovery CD’s.

Volume Explorer:
    On the main screen (Disk View) there are 3 vertical tabs between the main window and the left hand side bar. (sidebar is absent in WinPE CD)
    Open the Volume Explorer Tab.
    Browse to your backup file and double click it to enter. In the volume explorer you can double click the .PBF file regardless of the type of backup. If you backed up an enter drive, it will expand all of the partitions beneath the PBF, or just the individual partition from the 000. This is slightly different (a little more convenient) than the File Transfer Wizard.
    This option is only supported from Windows or the WinPE Recovery CD.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.