Paragon Backup & Restore 10 Suite (German)

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mad64, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad64

mad64 Registered Member

Not sure this is the right place to ask but anyway:
    I own PBRS10 (ger) (not the free one) and created some 'file backup' archive. When I try to verify its integrity, it's not possible since after choosing the 'file backup' archive, the 'next' button stays greyed out. So my simple question(s):
    Is it really that 'file backup' archives cannot be verified and are there plans to change this (it'd be nice to know, particularly when using incremental archives, that they potentially can be restored)?

thx
    /MD

pbrs10 fb verify 1.png

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

From the main menu, select the "Archive" tab, change your "Show" to "Show file archives" select the archive, right-click and you can choose to mount the archive to sample the data yourself, or check archive integrity.

3. mad64

mad64 Registered Member

I'm note sure I understand exactly what you suggest to do. See the following screenshots (remember this is the german version of the sw).
    Shot1, main pbr10 screen with archive tab selected, in the archive list frame-> selection only shows 'file archives' (actually it only shows one since there is only one with two incrementals)

pbrs10 fb verify 2.png

Shot 2, right click on latest increment of archive, I don't see any mount option for my archive, neither are there options for checks, the only options are to restore or to incremental add data or add/delete archive to the database.
    What am I getting wrong?

pbrs10 fb verify 3.png

thx
    /MD

4. ceeldee

ceeldee Registered Member

Hi, If you start Drive Backup from your desktop you -can choose restore
    - choose an archive and go next.
    - you shoud now see which drives are in the archived and if you select the + sign it will expand and show you the contents which you can explore and copy. I assume if you can do this the archive is OK. Dont forget to close System Backup first it will probably be open in the backgorund. Check the up sign in the windows 7 bottom right toolbar.

5. mad64

mad64 Registered Member

but do I really know that the integrity of the full archive is ok if I can start to expand the saved filesystemstructure in the restore tool? Btw, PBR10 does this for images as well and still for images you have a specific 'check the archive' function, which to me makes a lot of sense when you base on an compund archive format. AFAIK, PBR10 writes checksums into those archives which help the specific check procedure to verify that all data is ok. Maybe there are some big differences between .pbf and .pbi files.

thx and rgds
    /MD

6. ceeldee

ceeldee Registered Member

Well you are right. The only certain way to verify archive integrity is to restore and verify that what you had is what you have got. I must say say that I have a few problems using the ( recently bought) product with a NAS drive and I havn't been brave enough to try a drive restore. I have retrieved some files so that is some comfort. Its crazy when a product designed to avert disaster cannot be safely verified before the disater.

Regards

7. Paragon_Tommy

Ceeldee,

Refer to my other posts regarding the NAS device.

Mad64,

Where it says "Dateisicherungen" you need to change that to "Show Partition" equivalent in German. It's currently showing your complex archives, which includes more than 1 partitions, and the program will not mount multiple partitions. "Show Partition" will break down the complex archives into individual partition archives that you can mount.

8. mad64

mad64 Registered Member

No, it's not showing complex archives but 'file backups' (= Dateisicherungen). The complex archive thing in german is called 'Komplexes Archiv'. I have no problems with complex archives or images, they both allow verification without problems. I still struggle with the question if also a 'file backup' can be verified and if yes how (since this function is greyed out as shown on a screenshot in an earlier post) . Since also 'file backups' use a paragon proprietary file format (.pfi, packing all into one file) I would like to be able to run some sort of verification, especially when using (very common with file backups) incremental backups. Again see screenshot below for types of archives I currently have:
    - one partition archive (1 full + 1 differential, the green icons)
    - one complex archive (blue icon..and text 'komplexes..., it contains MBR and partition F )
    - one file backup (='Dateibasiertes Archiv', the one I'd like to verify, consisting of 1 full + 2 incrementals, papersheet icons)

pbrs10 fb verify 4.png

thx & rgds
    /MD

9. Paragon_Tommy

Hello Mad64,

If the backup was file-level, we can't mount the archive. The only way to look into the archive is either through the File Transfer Wizard or Volume Explorer. You can still browse into the archive and extract files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.