Paragon Backup & Recovery Free raw processing

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ThomasBe, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasBe

ThomasBe Registered Member

Hello,

A question regarding Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 Free...

In order to do a backup image of a (Windows XP) system disk, is a "regular" backup enough, or is a sector-by-sector (partition raw processing) required? Obviously to make sure that after restoring the backup, the operating system will work as before.

I know that with Acronis True Image a standard backup of the system is OK, and sector-by-sector backup is suggested only for unsupported file-systems, or for disks with bad sectors. Since Paragon is a similar software, I suppose it's the same as with Acronis.

Paragon's manual states:
    "Partition raw processing. Mark the checkbox to copy a partition in the sector-by-sector mode to successfully process unknown file systems. However it is not recommended to enable this option when working with supported file systems as it takes more time to accomplish the operation."

I just would like a confirmation that I don't need this option.
    Thanks.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You don´t need the sector-by-sector option.

3. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

It is unnecessary to use the Raw processing unless you have bad sectors on the drive. Raw processing simply copies every 1 and 0 on the drive, which is good in the case of a failing drive, but it will take much longer to complete because it is backing up the entire drive, not just the used sectors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.