Paragon Backup & Recovery Free 10.1

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Victek, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I installed a new hard drive recently and used Paragon B&R to create an image and restore it to the new disk. I created the image in Windows and saved it to an external USB hard drive. When I booted from the recovery media though it was not able to find my USB hard drive. Can anyone confirm that USB devices are not supported by the recovery CD/DVD? I had to move the drive into the PC and then the image files were easily found.

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

This is most likely because some of your hardware was not supported by the recovery disk by default. Please try the WinPE based advanced recovery CD and install the device drivers for your mainboard and you should be able to access the USB drives.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Is WinPE the same as BartPE? FYI I'm running Windows 7 x64 in case that matters. A little more info and a link would be much appreciated.

4. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Sort of, the WinPE disk is version 2.1 of Windows PE, whereas the BartPE is more like version 1.0 of WinPE, the key difference being the kernel used. Our WinPE 2.1 disk is Windows Vista SP1 based, and the BartPE disks are XP based. Our WinPE based recovery CD is not available with the free edition of B&R, however the editions that do include it will provide a download link for the disk.

The recovery media that you booted to is a linux based environment, the only option I can think that may help you is "Safe Mode" which is a dos based environment, which may be able to read the USB devices.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the information.

6. putapunk

putapunk Registered Member

Here's a site that has the resources and info to build all sorts of different windows live boot discs so when you boot from them you are in windows, not dos or linux.

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showforum=22

Or you can download the System Rescue cd which iirc is a linux but has a GUI so it's easy to navigate and all you have to do is download the iso file and burn it to cd.
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.