Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 (Advanced) Free and BD-RE (rewritable)??

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by RAIST5150, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAIST5150

RAIST5150 Registered Member

Is rewritable Blu-Ray supported, and if not...any plans to add it?

I've been Ghosting to a USB drive for years, and then burning to optical media for extra insurance. But my backups are hitting the 20GB mark now (last one was @21GB), so I'm pretty much just using a BD-RE now. That's a long process to backup D2D, then burn in seperate steps. Was hoping to just drop the D2D and burn straight to the BD-RE's in rotation (got 6 of the buggers) and use that USB drive for my video files (will help reduce my backup size in the process too...heheh)

Thought the first trial run on BD-RE went fine--was showing a bunch of files (500MB each, 23.5GB on it and all--but it stopped after processing only 134MB, saying the job was ended by user. Didn't trust it, so erased it again with ImgBurn and tried again--now it keeps prompting me to insert a blank disk?

Only thing I can think of is maybe it's because I typically use Quick Erase...gonna do a full erase and try again to see if that works. But if BD-RE is not supported yet, I'll just nix it and try the old D2D Ghost method to see how B&R does on the compression/speed.

That's what I'm really after now...trying to buy a little time before my backups stop fitting on one BD-RW. Clonezilla does a nice job (trimmed this same one down to just over 18GB...but it's a loooong backup with best compression.

Thanks!

2. RAIST5150

RAIST5150 Registered Member

OK...looks like I may have figured out the problem with BD-RE's---

Turn of the option to make them bootable.

This appears to be what was tripping me up. Once I turned that off, I was able to do a full burn from both a Full and Quick Erased BD-RE (ImgBurn) without a hitch. B&R also prompted me to erase the BD-RE when I tried to do a quick 8GB test backup to an unerased BD-RE--opted for a quick erase on that one.

Strange thing is, even though it was not written to the end, it still behaved just like any other burned disk: I could see all the files in Windows Explorer, and it was showing 23.2GB on it, like it had been written to the end with dummy files--but it only took about 10.5 minutes to burn it. Didn't have any problems erasing it with Imgburn either--it did a quick erase just like usual.

In all tests, backups directly to BD-RE were running about 750MB/Minute--not bad for media with only about 540MB/minute max burn speed...I think I may have found my new backup program...hehe. :)

Restores to the non-system drives directly from the BD-RE have been smooth and quick as well. Now for the ultimate test....off to blow up my hard drive and test the bare metal rebuild from the recovery CD and Blu-Ray. If this works as I hope, gonna be telling everyone I can about this product!!!

3. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

oh... I would recommend to backup to any external storage first (e.g. to USB-drive).

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Second internal for me then copy selected archives to external HDs.

I kinow a lot of people like optical media but I'm not one of them especially re-writable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.