Paragon Backup Free - Unsuccessful restore of differential

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Sode no Shirayuki, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki Registered Member

Win XP/SP3 32-bit

-

I just attempted to restore a differential backup with Paragon Back & Recovery Free. The process was successful, however, when I restarted my computer, I noticed that the restore was, in fact, not successful. Configurations, such as my desktop resolution were changed, and my Quick Launch shortcuts were gone. Additionally, programs, such as Comodo Firewall stopped functioning (Comodo reported errors). I decided to restart the computer, and it booted into a screen which is flooding "Replacing invalid security id with a valid security id."

Edit:

I'm back into Windows XP and the entire taskbar is missing. Additionally, I have about half the amount of processes running now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Sode no Shirayuki :)

I hope you got some help with this and you are up and running. If not, here are some thoughts:

Do you have a full image backup of your system drive/partition you can restore from, and not a differential? It sounds like a complete failure, disk/file corruption, etc. due to this restore failure. Chkdsk is not going to fix this, and if you have a full image backup of your system OS partition, I would try restoring from that image. If that goes fine, then maybe there was a problem with your differential backup or perhaps a mistake was made unknowingly.

At least worth a try if you have a complete system image. I have not used Paragon for some time, but thought I would try and help. Unfortunately, I am noticing some odd restore issues from several different disk image apps lately, and I am not sure what they are trying to do, but the restores 'work', but I am finding added files being generated by some of them, or they are taking the liberty to alter the restored data.

One should expect a restore of exactly what was imaged, but I am finding out this is not always the case and it is the manner in which some restore an image, etc. Also, there have been cases that it would appear the restore was no more than a file overwrite which can be messy and cause similar issues as you had or a very disorganized resulting disk. I am not saying Paragon does this, but some do alter the post restore of the disk and I see no reason for this to occur unless one is restoring to dissimilar hardware, etc.

Perhaps sometimes the partition to be restored is not properly deleted before the restore. Sometimes it is prudent to delete the partition manually before a restore, but even then, sometimes it may not work as expected. As with so much else in modern computing, even some disk imaging apps in some cases appear to be doing more than what their purpose is, which causes instability in some cases or worse.

I hope you work things out. :)

Jim

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  3. Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki Registered Member

The other image I had was the full image from Paragon and that one failed, too. Strange considering paragon (full image) worked fine on my desktop. I attempted to reinstall the operating system, but the Operating System disc didn't work (I got an error while it was loading drivers). I restarted the computer, and the disc worked. I've reinstalled the operating system.

4. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Sode :)

Were you trying to restore to another machine other than your desktop? Not sure if I understood correctly. if you were trying to restore on another machine/dissimilar hardware, certainly that could have been an issue.

Sorry to hear even your full image did not work...glad you were able to reinstall, but it is a pain sometimes LOL

Thanks for replying Sode :)

Jim

5. crypto1701

crypto1701 Registered Member

Anytime a system is backed up while running, you have a chance of corrupt files. VSS helps but, even so, if a file is open/in the process of being written to when the "snapshot" is taken, the file will likely be problematic.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I won't argue that doing a static backup is the safest way because it is a simpler situation. However, with the number of people doing live backups there would be a flood of problems and there aren't. I do live imaging all the time and have no troubles related to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.