Paragon Backup 9 Server Edition

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by YeOldeStonecat, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I have it installed on Small Business Server 2003 R2.
    I noticed since I stopped the native SBS backup, and went with Paragon, that the exchange logs in the MDBData directory are accumulating, the ones that are 5,210 KB in size. They are the log files that accumulate when backups fail on the Exchange server, because no backup software is flushing the logs.

Is there some option in Paragon to make sure they get flushed?

2. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

There isn't a setting that controls this that can be enabled or disabled.

There is a "Best Practices for Exchange" document that might help you:
    http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/Best_Practices_MS_Exchange_Server.pdf

Section 3.2 starting at the bottom of page 17 discuss this briefly. Basically, you need to make sure that every volume in that Storage Group is being backed up at the same time. It may not be enough to just backup the C partition. Backing up the entire Disk 0 may not be enough if you have volumes on another disk that are being used.

If you're not sure what all you need, and you have the available storage, try backing up all of your hard disks together and see if the logs are truncated. If so, you can deselect disks or partitions from the backup that you prefer not to include, until you determine which ones are required.

If you already are backing up the entire system, then we should inspect the files in your backup to confirm that all partitions were successfully backed up.

Also, to rule out possible issues with Exchange, you may want to try using NT Backup and see if the logs are refreshed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.