Paragon Back and Recovery Version 9

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ddlldrinc, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddlldrinc

ddlldrinc Registered Member

I am in a bit of trouble and am in need of some help. My vista home premium computer recently crashed. Fortunately, about 6 months ago I created a backup of my vista computer using the Paragon B&R v9 software. I sinced purchased a new computer with window 7 home premium installed. I really like the windows 7 platform and would like to continue using it.

My first questions is.. can i restore my backup from my old vista computer to the new computer with windows 7 without losing my program functions?

My second question is if so, how? When my old computer crashed I loss everything.. including access to my backup software.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to get my new computer running in the same manner as my old vista computer without the vista os.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

There's a few ways to do this. First of all, if you were to restore your previous backup VISTA and all its programs, you will either have to delete Windows 7 or use it separately as a dual boot.

If you would like to continue using Windows 7 and the programs you had installed on Vista, then you would first need to restore the system back to Windows Vista, and then upgrade Windows Vista to 7.

If you cannot upgrade, using the File Transfer Wizard, you can browse into your old archive and pull files and folder. Your programs will not be able to be restored.

Backup & Recovery 10 Free Edition is available here:

http://www.paragon-software.com/free

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi ddl,

To expand on Tommy's post :

The new version of Paragon BR 10 he linked to will be able to recognize and restore the backup you made with BR 9.

If you would like to dual boot - it depends if you have enough space to create another partition large enough to Restore the Vista backup you made. Preferably it should be the a little larger than the Vista partition you originally backed up.

If you want to try the upgrade idea:

Make sure it is a valid upgrade path to perform an "in-place upgrade"

Make a backup if your existing Win 7 installation.

Restore the Vista backup to the current Win 7 partition.

You may have a problem booting Vista as you have restored to a different machine ( different hardware) .

You would need to run the Paragon P2P Adjust function to correct that.

Boot into Vista, put 7 dvd in the drive, run setup and select Upgrade.

You also need to enter your 7 product key. If you have an oem key ( a preinstalled version of 7 ) you will probably need to ring the manufacturere to activate.

It may be quite a long process.

Otherwise, retrieve your data from the Vista backup image using File Transfer Wizard in BR10 , as Tommy suggested.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.