Paragon Alignment Tool Frustration

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Ken429, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken429

Ken429 Registered Member

I have used PAT on a W7 64-bit system with two WD Black 750 GB drives and it somehow managed to get all the partitons aligned after many tries. I also used PAT on a Vista 64-bit system with two Seagate 500GB drives. It aligned all the partitions with no problems! I thought I had PAT all figured out! Now I'm trying to align another W7 64-bit sytem with two WD Black 640 GB drives and it won't align the boot partition no matter what I try. I have run chkdsk /F /V /R C: - no issues found. I have turned off protection and run several boot time defrags using Perfect Disk Professional 11 and run several "normal" defrags. I have shrunk the C: boot partition to 69.29 GB and have 55.7 GB of free space at the end of the C: boot partition. The Windows version of PAT does its thing and accomplishes nothing - Not Aligned is the result. The CD boot version jumps to the the screen that reads "If an alignment operation has been aborted or unexpectedly interupted...." It gives the following options: Undelete Partition, Boot Connector, Reboot Computer and Power Off. When I choose Undelete partition it selects the free space. I have run out of ideas on what I have to do to make PAT work on this machine. The only difference between this one and the W7 system it handled is a hibernation file. I have seen other people are having similar problems - any ideas on what I'm missing would be appreciated.

2. Anakunda

Anakunda Registered Member

I am facing the very same problem. Does holy nothing on system partition without any clearage. I provided almost 13GB of free space, additionally consolidated free space by PerfectDisc to provide maximum free blocks)....PAT did ~ Snipped as per TOS ~. I bet this is lack of continuous free space left on drive, but.....
    This is quite strange piece of software as it is considerably secretive about the operation conditions and the progress self :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
  3. theresa_n

theresa_n Registered Member

I have tried everything I've seen online to get this tool to work and cannot. It is enormously frustrating. How would I go about re-partitioning without having to reinstall Windows 7? I can back up and restore but don't want to reinstall Windows and all my programs.

4. Ken429

Ken429 Registered Member

After contacting Paragon several times they acknowledged there was a problem on some systems that did not allow the PAT to work correctly. On or about 7/20/2010 they gave me a link to a "new" version of PAT and it worked for me! I don't know if the new version is still available for free but it is worth checking with Paragon.

5. theresa_n

I have requested help from Paragon but they have not yet responded. I really tried everything.

6. Ken429

Ken429 Registered Member

Are you running W7 64-bit?

7. theresa_n

Yes I am using Windows Home Premium 64 bit.

8. Ken429

Ken429 Registered Member

The PAT setup file that worked for me was 30462 KB. Do you have a Paragon Key for your copy of PAT? If so where do you want me to send you a copy of the "fixed" PAT setup file?

9. anga

anga Registered Member

PAT worked flawlessly for me. I partitioned an empty HDD and then used PAT to align--took a couple of minutes. In another case, I aligned a partition at the end of the HDD--plenty of space though--again only a couple of minutes. My suggestion would be to backup/image the HDD, delete the data and then align.

Didn't test for speed improvements though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.