Paragon Alignment Tool - free download until June 30

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by newbino, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

short article from ghacks
    download link (needs registration)

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

anyone tried this? please post results.

i installed a copy of it myself, but they suggest to make a full backup of your hard drive before use and I'm traveling this week with no external hdd with me to use for backups.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

And they don't joke about backup (which is a good idea in any case) either. I tried it on a oldish Dell laptop with bad results is it came with 0x0000006f within seconds of selecting Align. No booting no repairing and lost 2 partitions out of 3. Luckily I had a backup of primary partition or else ..

I'll try again, just in case, when I have more time

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Is this tool supposed to be for SSD only? What storage device do you have in your old dell?

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    This also works fine with all modern HDD. I have aligned two HDDs. The only bad thing is that it can't align system drive (C: drive). I have tried several times but no success...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9059/patx.png

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I finally got home to my 150 GB external hard drive and made the backups.

I was able to align the 45 GB system partition of my laptop hard drive, but the second ("data") partition (67 GB) refused to become aligned despite multiple attempts. Other than that, PAT took about 1.5 hours and ran without a hitch, mostly in boot mode.

I also aligned an empty 2 GB SD card that I keep semi-permanently plugged in to my laptop - this operation took very little time, maybe 3 minutes.

Last I aligned a 8GB Micro SD card that's also attached to my computer semi-permanently via a mini USB Card Reader. The card contains a bootable BartPE system (windows xp pre-install environment with lots of backup, recovery, antimalware and diagnostic tools) plus a 4 GB cache file for eBoostr. It took a surprising 1.5 hours to align.

The only partition I have failed to align has been my laptop's non-system partition. I even stopped/unlocked all open handles on it, ran chkdsk and defragged it, but no cigar.

As for benefits, not sure. I uninstalled Rollback Rx temporarily, performed general cleanup, and disabled almost all start up programs including firewall and anti-malware protection to run PAT so I cannot say yet whether my system is more responsive because of it, or simply because I turned off a bunch of stuff and performed general cleanup. YMMV.

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I ran the alignment tool on my desktop computer. On the first drive (windows xp) it aligned 2 out of 2 partition (i.e. system (primary) and data (logical) partitions). On the second hard drive it aligned 2 out of 3 partitions. (i.e. BartPE (primary) partition and 1 out of 2 (logical) data paritions).

The computer booted faster than ever after the alignment (see the big dip in pic). However, I uninstalled Rollback Rx, defragged the drive (MyDefrag) and ran ChkDsk prior to running PAT. After I reinstalled Rollback Rx, boot times became longer again but still better than before.

I use Soluto to track boot times. Attached is an image of them. The lowest point is just after PAT although there were other factors at play that may account for the drop.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.