Paragon Alignment Tool 3.0

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by nbourbaki, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbourbaki

nbourbaki Registered Member

Purchased the software yesterday. Checked my SSD drive for alignment and only the SSD for alignment and 22+ hours later with no errors and never interrupted the program rebooted itself at the end with no input from me and it aligned two drives I didn't have checked but not my SSD drive.

I'm pretty frustrated. The SSD still shows that it's not aligned. What am I doing wrong?

2. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Honestly I would ask for a refund. I used this software and it ruined a partition on one of my hard drives. Not to say the same thing will happen with you. I hope you have a backup for that hdd as well.

3. nbourbaki

Thanks for the response. Yes I have a good image backup. Acronis Clone didn't align on the 1024 offset which is why I bought PAT. My offset is showing 31 KB which means I'm not getting all the performance I could out of the drive. I was hopeful that PAT would be a painless fix, but no luck there.

4. 1chaoticadult

Good that you have a good backup image. Thats weird that Acronis didn't keep alignment. I restored an acronis image from a 500gb 7200rpm hdd to a smaller ssd. Afterwards I checked with PAT and the ssd was aligned.

5. nbourbaki

I've tried to align the drive both as actively being my boot drive and not my boot drive and PAT analysis the disk, doesn't start the alignment (no progress bar movement) and then it states the drive is not aligned.

I've logged a ticket with Paragon support and I'll wait until they give me some advice here on what is going wrong before I decide to ask for a refund. I'm running the latest version of the tool.

I thought this was going to be a lot easier. Haven't found another tool that would accomplish the task.

As far as Acronis, apparently, you have to manually adjust the cloning size for it to preserve the alignment.

6. 1chaoticadult

Did you use the clone disk option in Acronis or did you backup from an image? I would be interested in what Paragon would have to say about your issue. Let me know.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  7. nbourbaki

I cloned the original HDD and then cloned the HDD to the SSD. I've cloned my HDD rotating through 3 spare drives as a safety precaution. When my internal HDD failed, I just used my latest clone drive until I received my SSD.

Used the newest version of Acronis TI 11 on the clone to the SSD.

8. 1chaoticadult

Ahh ok. Thanks for the info.

9. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  10. 1chaoticadult

11. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Just an additional question. Can you do an alignment with diskpart without losing data on the partition?

Thanks.

12. 1chaoticadult

13. nbourbaki

I heard back from technical support. The answer to my problem was that PAT didn't get through the file system integrity check. I was instructed to run chkdsk /f on the drive to repair whatever problem was being detected by PAT. I ran chkdsk /f twice with no errors or repair required. The next step was to disable the file integrity check in PAT. When I disabled the file integrity check, PAT completed the alignment without error. I've rebooted numerous times with no problems and my drive is perfectly aligned.

The Paragon team wanted me to send them a image of my disk before fixing it so they could determine what the problem was with PAT. Unfortunately, the link they gave me to download the tool to generate the image was broken.

So, there is a problem with the tool where it's finding a file integrity problem that chkdsk doesn't detect but the work around worked and my drive is aligned. So a happy ending.

14. 1chaoticadult

Good to hear. Thanks for the update and glad you got your ssd aligned. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.