Panicking, what on earth is this?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by AnthonyG, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Just looked at my emails and i got something that has worried me immensly.

what on earth is this, is this just a trick or has my credit card been comprimised.

I am very worried now. Is this just some scumbag having a laugh or what.

Thanks
    Anthony

Attached Files:

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Don't worry. It is highly unlikely that anything has been compromised. Just a "phishing" expedition. Google for phishing, if you have any questions.

As for the email, just delete it. If your ISP has spam control, then use it. BTW, I get tons of this kind of mail. Yahoo automatically disposes of it for me.

Whatever you do, don't go to the link or do anything with the email other than trash it.

Rich

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Shoot, i already have. The web site said it needed to install additional plugins for firefox to be viewed. I figured id have to be an idiot to allow that (i rarely allow it anyway) so i left. Am i ok still?.

thanks for your help though

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Rather than just deleting such emails, I'd suggest creating a SpamCop account which would allow you to submit such emails - SpamCop then identifies the actual source (usually different from the "From:" header) and sends reports to the ISP responsible plus the ISP of any websites referenced.

Even if the ISPs do nothing, the IP address of the sending machine may get added to SpamCop's blocklist (this requires multiple reports) which in turn will restrict the number of emails that that PC (typically a zombie) can send out.

It is also worth sending copies of phishing emails to reportphishing (at) antiphishing.org.

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Anthony,

The probability is that you are O.K. I am assuming that you didn't enter anything on the site. However, it is impossible to say for sure.

McAfee is pretty strong and probably would have detected something. You also have TH and CounterSpy running which also offer additional level of protection. If you are running Firefox and had JavaScript on, there may be a script vulnerability. I use WormGuard to close this vulnerability. You may want to consider WormGuard (or something similar) to close this vulnerability.

You may want to run HijackThis to see if anything was installed that looks foreign (ComputerCops supports HijackThis), and you may also want to run Kaspersky online just for the hell of it. Or try out TDS-3, which has excellent trojan scan detection.

Bottomline: I doubt anything got through, but it is impossible for me to say. Maybe someone with more experience with phishing can be more definitive.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.